Tuesday, 30 May 2017

Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia

I received an advance copy of this book for free. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Eliza and Her Monsters
Blurb (from Goodreads):
In the real world, Eliza Mirk is shy, weird, and friendless. Online, Eliza is LadyConstellation, anonymous creator of the wildly popular webcomic Monstrous Sea. Eliza can’t imagine enjoying the real world as much as she loves her digital community, and has no desire to try.

Then Wallace Warland, Monstrous Sea's biggest fanfiction writer, transfers to her school. Wallace thinks Eliza is just another fan, and Eliza begins to wonder if a life offline might be worthwhile. But when Eliza’s secret is accidentally shared with the world, everything she’s built—her story, her relationship with Wallace, and even her sanity—begins to fall apart.

With illustrations from Eliza’s webcomic, as well as screenshots from Eliza’s online forums and snippets of Wallace's fanfiction, this uniquely formatted book will appeal to fans of Noelle Stevenson’s Nimona and Rainbow Rowell’s Fangirl.


Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Eliza and Her Monsters “I didn’t make Monstrous Seas to be a phenomenon – I made it because it was the story I wanted. I make it now because there’s something inside of me, crushed around my heart, that says I must do it. This is what I was put on Earth to create, for me and for my fans. This story. This is mine, and it is my duty to bring it to the world.”


This was a YA contemporary story about a girl who authored on online comic series.

Eliza was quite a quiet and private girl and seemed to like not being the centre of attention. I did feel sorry for her in the way her parents didn’t seem to understand who she was or what she was doing at all though, and kept pushing her to leave her computer and find ‘real’ friends.

“I do have friends. Maybe they live hundreds of miles away from me, and maybe I can only talk to them through a screen, but they’re still my friends. They don’t just hold Monstrous Sea together. They hold me together.”


The storyline in this was about Eliza being the author of an online comic, which was really popular. She then met a new boy at school who was a fan of the series, and wrote fanfiction about it, and we got a bit of a romance building, even though Eliza didn’t tell him that she was really the author of Monstrous Sea. The romance in this was quite slow and sweet, but I really hated the way Eliza held back such a major secret, especially when her new boyfriend, Wallace, opened up to her about something really important.

“Wallace won’t forgive me. How can anyone else?”


The ending to this was okay, and I was pleased that things worked out okay in the end.



7 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment