Friday, 17 June 2016

We Were Never Here by Jennifer Gilmore

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
We Were Never Here
Blurb (from Goodreads):
In this exquisitely written, emotionally charged young adult debut, Jennifer Gilmore explores the bond that is formed between a hospitalized girl and the secretly troubled boy she falls in love with.

Did you know your entire life can change in an instant?

For sixteen-year-old Lizzie Stoller that moment is when she collapses, out of the blue. The next thing she knows she’s in a hospital with an illness she’s never heard of.

But that isn’t the only life-changing moment for Lizzie. The other is when Connor and his dog, Verlaine, walk into her hospital room. Lizzie has never connected with anyone the way she does with the handsome, teenage volunteer. However, the more time she spends with him, and the deeper in love she falls, the more she realizes that Connor has secrets and a deep pain of his own . . . and that while being with him has the power to make Lizzie forget about her illness, being with her might tear Connor apart.


We Were Never Here by Jennifer Gilmore

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



We Were Never Here “Am I going to die?”




This was an okay story, but it wasn’t quite what I was expecting.

Lizzie was put in a difficult position in this book, being stuck in hospital and having no idea what was wrong with her was really hard, and I totally got why she worried that she was going to die.

The storyline in this wasn’t quite what I expected as it was more about Connor and Lizzie being apart than being together, and I was looking for romance really. I will admit that I didn’t guess the little twist that we got, so that was a bit of a surprise, but I just wanted Connor and Lizzie to actually get some time together rather than missing each other and writing letters.

The ending to this was quite bittersweet, and not really the happily ever after I was hoping for.



6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment