Wednesday, 18 May 2016

Girl Against the Universe by Paula Stokes

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Girl Against the Universe
Blurb (from Goodreads):
From the author of The Art of Lainey and Liars, Inc. comes a fresh, contemporary story about one girl’s tragic past and a boy who convinces her that maybe her luck is about to change. Perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen or Jenny Han.

Maguire knows she’s bad luck. No matter how many charms she buys off the internet or good luck rituals she performs each morning, horrible things happen when Maguire is around. Like that time her brother, father, and uncle were all killed in a car crash—and Maguire walked away with barely a scratch. But then on her way out of her therapist’s office, she meets Jordy, an aspiring tennis star, who wants to help Maguire break her unlucky streak. Maguire knows that the best thing she can do for Jordy is to stay away, but staying away may be harder than she thought.


Girl Against the Universe by Paula Stokes

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Girl Against the Universe “Bad things happen to other people when I’m around.” I sigh. “It’s like I’m bad luck.”




This was a YA contemporary story about a girl who believed she was bad luck to those around her.

Maguire was an okay character, and it was easy to see why she’d believe she was bad luck. To be in more than one accident where people died, and she walked away unharmed did seem a little strange, and I could understand her not wanting to get on a plane with what was left of her family just in case she caused the plane to crash.

The storyline in this was about Maguire overcoming her fears and learning to realise that maybe she could live a normal life, and wasn’t really cursed. We also got a bit of a romance brewing between Maguire and Jordy, and some tennis tournaments too.

The ending to this was pretty good, and I appreciated the little twist at the end.



6 out of 10

1 comment:

  1. I'm on the fence about this one. I have so many to read already. I do like the sound of it though and I've not yet read anything by this author.

    ReplyDelete