Monday, 11 April 2016

Away We Go by Emil Ostrovski

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Away We Go
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Westing is not your typical school. For starters, you have to have one very important quality in order to be admitted—you have to be dying. Every student at Westing has been diagnosed with PPV, or the Peter Pan Virus. No one is expected to live to graduation.

What do you do when you go to a school where no one has a future? Noah Falls, his girlfriend Alice, and his best friend Marty spend their time drinking, making out, and playing video games on awaywego.com. But when an older boy named Zach (who Noah may or may not be in love with) invites Noah and Marty to join his secret Polo Club, the lives of both boys change as they struggle to find meaning in their shortened existence.

With an innovative format that includes interstitial documents, such as flyers, postcards, and handwritten notes, Away We Go is a funny, honest look at first love and tragic heartbreak.


Away We Go by Emil Ostrovski

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Away We Go “I’ve often thought about what Peter Pan would look like if he were a Polo-playing Westing student brushing his teeth in one of our bathrooms, and I have to say, you’re exactly like I pictured him, right down to both your chest hairs.”


This was a very strange story, and I had real problems trying to work out what was actually going on. The story jumped back and forth through time, with the only constant being some ‘cataclysmic, fiery, kind of clich├ęd end of all things (or not)’ – death? and I just had absolutely no clue what was happening at all.

I have to say that I also stupidly thought that this was a contemporary story, when it can’t possibly be because there is no such thing as ‘peter pan virus’, and nobody would stand for their kids being sent away to die in a place they weren’t even allowed to visit!

And romance wise, I really wasn’t expecting the boy on boy sex scene. Not something I think I’ve ever come across in a YA book, and a bit shocking to be honest. Not that I have any problem with gay sex, I just wasn’t expecting it in a YA book.

The ending to this was also surprising in that I was waiting for them all to die, and the book actually ended before that happened.



4 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment