Thursday, 7 January 2016

This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to SOURCEBOOKS Fire and NetGalley.
This Is Where It Ends
Blurb (from Goodreads):
10:00 a.m.
The principal of Opportunity, Alabama's high school finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve.

10:02 a.m.
The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next class.

10:03
The auditorium doors won't open.

10:05
Someone starts shooting.

Told over the span of 54 harrowing minutes from four different perspectives, terror reigns as one student's calculated revenge turns into the ultimate game of survival.



This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp

My rating: 3 of 5 stars




This Is Where It Ends “If you cooperate, some of you might go home today. All you have to do is listen carefully to what I’m saying. No screaming, no running, no phones, and certainly no attempting to disarm me. Today, you’ll all listen.”




This book was pretty shocking, mainly because this sort of thing happens in real life to real people.

I had a bit of a hard time keeping track of the characters in this book because there were so many of them! I slowly began to pick up the relationships between them, but it did take me a while. It was easy to see why these kids would be so scared though when someone just walked into their school hall and started shooting people, but I had a hard time really feeling for these characters, they just didn’t speak to me the way I expected them to.

The storyline in this followed a couple of the kids who were in the hall with the shooter, and a couple of other kids who were outside of the hall, we also got some tweets from kids both and in the hall and at home.
My main thing about this book though, was that it seemed in poor taste. This kind of thing unfortunately happens to real people in real life, and writing a fictional book about something that kills people just seems a bit wrong. I also hope that this book won’t give people ideas! I would hate for someone to do this sort of thing in real life after reading this book.

The ending to this was okay, but I can’t help feeling like this book just left a bad taste in my mouth.



6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment