Sunday, 17 January 2016

The Distance from A to Z by Natalie Blitt

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
The Distance from A to Z
Blurb (from Goodreads):
This full-length novel by debut author Natalie Blitt is a pitch-perfect blend of Stephanie Perkins and Miranda Kenneally that proves the age-old adage: opposites attract.

Seventeen-year-old Abby has only one goal for her summer: to make sure she is fluent in French—well, that, and to get as far away from baseball and her Cubs-obsessed family as possible. A summer of culture and language, with no sports in sight.

That turns out to be impossible, though, because her French partner is the exact kind of boy she was hoping to avoid. Eight weeks. 120 hours of class. 80 hours of conversation practice with someone who seems to wear baseball caps and jerseys every day.

But Zeke in French is a different person than Zeke in English. And Abby can’t help but fall for him, hard. As Abby begins to suspect that Zeke is hiding something, she has to decide if bridging the gap between who she is and who he is is worth the risk.

Epic Reads Impulse is a digital imprint with new releases each month.


The Distance from A to Z by Natalie Blitt

My rating: 3.25 of 5 stars



The Distance from A to Z “My name starts with the first letter in the alphabet and yours is the last one.”




This was an okay YA contemporary romance, but it took a long while to really get going for me.

Abby really irritated me at the start of this book, because she seemed to think that if someone liked baseball then she shouldn’t like them, which for me was a bit narrow-minded. I know that she didn’t like baseball, but that shouldn’t mean that she should be rude to people who did like it.

The storyline in this was all about waiting for the romance to happen, and the wait was a bit too long for me. I liked the way that Abby and Zeke spoke French to each other, but that was pretty much the only thing that kept me reading.
When the romance did eventually happen, it was good, and it did save this book for me, it was just such a long time coming!

The ending to this had a bit of a twist. I did see it coming, but that didn’t ruin it for me.



6.5 out of 10

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't like the character, she does sound a bit narrow minded
    Good review

    Ruty @Reading…Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, all the negatives I have seen about this book revolve around Abby and her hatred of baseball. I will admit it was a bit over the top but for me the story trumped that. And I ended up absolutely loving it. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete