Tuesday, 29 December 2015

What's Broken Between Us by Alexis Bass

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
What's Broken Between Us
Blurb (From Goodreads):
Alexis Bass’s heartbreakingly beautiful second novel is a tale of love, loss, and learning to forgive.

Look to the left, look to the right. We’re all going to die. But someone has to do it first. So who’s it going to be?

Tragedy struck Amanda Tart’s town a year and a half ago when a sophomore girl was killed in a car accident on graduation night.
Amanda’s brother, Jonathan, was behind the wheel and too drunk to drive. He’s spent the past year in prison and has cut off all ties. But now Jonathan is coming home. Just as Amanda’s trying to figure out what that means for her family and herself, she’s paired up for a school project with Henry Crane—a former crush, and brother of Jonathan’s ex-girlfriend, who survived the crash with horrible injuries.

Everyone is still incredibly damaged by the events of that night. Can Amanda and Henry finally begin to heal what’s broken and find some peace?


What's Broken Between Us by Alexis Bass

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


What's Broken Between Us(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)

“He didn’t even go to her funeral,” Henry says. “Even though he used to claim that he loved Grace as much as he loved his baby sister.”
“You know it was impossible for him to be at the funeral when he was –?”
“When he was the reason there was a funeral in the first place?”




I’m a little torn over this book, because some parts I liked, and some parts I didn’t, but the characters kind-of got to me, and made me really feel this book.

I felt a little sorry for Amanda, because continuing to live in the same town after your brother killed one girl and injured another whilst drunk driving, couldn’t have been easy. Amanda was no angel though, and whilst she didn’t kill anyone, she was exactly being faithful to her boyfriend either, and her family was a bit of a mess really.

“I’ve become the kind of girl who lies to her best and only real friend.”



Jonathan was also a mess. He didn’t come across as repentant over killing Grace, he came across as self-destructive. The way he behaved, the things he said made it seem like he was just trying to make things worse for himself rather than better, and I just wanted to knock some sense into him!

“He pours the whiskey until his cup is so full he’s going to have to slurp his first few sips without moving the cup.”



The storyline covered Jonathan coming home, and the choices he made once he was home. The way him being home affected everybody else, and the self-destructive behaviours he displayed! I feel so conflicted over this book though, because I found the story a bit slow and boring in places, but I felt like the characters really got to me at points!

“I killed Grace Marlamount, Sutton will never walk on her own again, and, here you all are, still giving me the benefit of the doubt.”



There was romance in this book, but there was also cheating. I’m not going to say more than that.

“What’s going to happen to you?”



The ending to this was also a little irritating, but it was more to do with the actions of the characters being irritating rather than the end to the story being irritating. Be prepared to feel a bit knocked about by this one!
7 out of 10

2 comments:

  1. I think good books have a balance of good and bad. Mixed feelings can bring on thinking, and who knows where that will lead. :-)

    Merry Christmas. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say the drive for me with this book were the characters. I mean, the plot was interesting, but the interactions with the characters is what really got me. Amanda has so much guilt for something she didn't even do. Johnathan has no guilt, or so it seems. I really think all his actions were spurred on from his guilt and he felt he didn't deserve to be free. And the forbidden romance is something I'm always a fan of. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete