Saturday, 10 October 2015

Very in Pieces by Megan Frazer Blakemore

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Very in Pieces
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Very Sales-Woodruff is done being a good girl. Done being the only responsible one in a family that’s unraveling. Done being the obliging girlfriend in a relationship that’s sinking. Done saying no to what she wants—like Dominic, her rebellious classmate.

With her mom’s drinking, her dad’s extended absences from home, and her younger sister, Ramona, running wild, the path Very has always seen for herself doesn’t seem to matter anymore. At the same time, Very’s grandmother, a poet known less for her work and more for her exploits with the likes of Andy Warhol and Arthur Miller, is slipping away.

If everything else can fall to pieces, why can’t she?


  Very in Pieces by Megan Frazer Blakemore

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Very in Pieces

“Nonnie always says that if everyone in the family were an artist, we’d never eat or have clean clothes. “Everyone has their role to play, Very.””



I’m a little confused by this book; I’ve finished, but I’m still not 100% sure what it was about.

Very was a girl who everyone thought of as intelligent, conservation, and dependable, she was all those things really, whether she liked it or not. I liked the way she cared for her dying grandmother though, and she really did do her best to look after her family and friends, even when they didn’t want her input.

The storyline in this just seemed to be about Very’s life in general. There was the storyline of her famous poet grandmother dying, and later on we got a bit of a mystery surrounding a piece of artwork, and a bit of mystery surrounding her sister and what she was up to, but I just didn’t feel like the book held my attention well at all, and my mind just kept wandering, making it take a long time to get through this one.
There was some romance, and we got a bit of a love triangle too. I preferred the romance at the end of the book, but this didn’t really have a happily ever after sort of ending.

The ending to this didn’t feel like much of an ending to me, and I still have some unanswered questions, and some worries regarding Very’s sister, and what on earth her mother going on about a sister for when she was an only child? So confusing!



6 out of 10

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. I do like the teaser and the picture of the girl pondering...what?
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete