Thursday, 15 October 2015

Until Beth (Life & Beth, #1) by Lisa Amowitz

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Spencer Hill Press and NetGalley.
Until Beth (Life & Beth, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
She doesn’t just play, she kills it.

Talented rock guitarist Beth Collins has been barely holding herself together for months, ever since her boyfriend and bandmate became the latest victim in a string of suspicious disappearances. When her brother is injured an accident and she sees something dark billowing around him as he hovers close to death, she’s convinced her sanity is collapsing for good.

Then she's accepted by a boarding school for the musically gifted. All of her new friends are bursting with talent, but they're also keeping secrets. Can she trust Vincent, who's so sweet that his very touch makes her fears melt away? Or Xavier, who's trying to tell her something but is hiding even more?

And will anyone be safe when her true Talent comes out?


Until Beth by Lisa Amowitz

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Until Beth (Life & Beth, #1)

“Darkness pooled on the ceiling, a whirlpool made of shadow.”



This was a bit of an odd story, and it reminded me a bit of Fallen by Lauren Kate.

I found it a little difficult to really relate to Beth as she seemed quite angry. I did feel sorry for her with regards to her brother’s friend Luke trying to rape her, but for the rest of the story I struggled with her a bit.

This story started out with a contemporary feel, then things started to go in a paranormal directing with Beth seeing this black swirly shadow-like thing near someone who was about to die, which reminded me a bit of the shadows in Fallen. Anyway, we then got some romance which I wasn’t really feeling, so explanations as to what this school was which Beth was at, and some other supernatural stuff going on, but I just didn’t enjoy it, and I was basically waiting for the book to end.

When the book did end, it didn’t feel like much of an ending, but I don’t think I’d want to read another book in this series.



5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment