Tuesday, 15 September 2015

One by Sarah Crossan

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
One
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Tippi and Grace share everything—clothes, friends . . . even their body. Writing in free verse, Sarah Crossan tells the sensitive and moving story of conjoined twin sisters, which will find fans in readers of Gayle Forman, Jodi Picoult, and Jandy Nelson.

Tippi and Grace. Grace and Tippi. For them, it’s normal to step into the same skirt. To hook their arms around each other for balance. To fall asleep listening to the other breathing. To share. And to keep some things private. The two sixteen-year-old girls have two heads, two hearts, and each has two arms, but at the belly, they join. And they are happy, never wanting to risk the dangerous separation surgery.

But the girls’ body is beginning to fight against them. And soon they will have to face the impossible choice they have avoided for their entire lives.


  One by Sarah Crossan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


One(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)

“I’ve never really thought about
How it would be if
We weren’t together,
How
Losing her would be like lying in a fucking pyre
And waiting for the flames.
She’s not a piece of me.
She’s me entirely
And without her
There would be
A gaping space
In my chest,
An expanding black hole
That nothing
Else could
Fill.”




This was a touching story about Siamese twins, faced with the toughest decision of their lives – to separate or not?

I really liked Grace and Tippi in this story, and it was obvious how much they loved each other, and wanted to be together no matter what, and I felt really sorry for them and the choice they had to make.

“You think we’re partners but really
I’m a parasite,” I whisper.
“I don’t want to suck
Your life from you.”




The story in this book was written in verse, and I do think it suited the story well. I liked how we got insight into what was going on in Grace’s head, and I also liked how believable the story was.

“Time is already
Running out.”




There was a little bit of romance, and it was obviously a little complicated by the whole Siamese twins thing. I did think that Jon and Grace were cute together.

“We can go to school,” she says,
“and get jobs
And drive and swim and hike.
You know I’ll follow you anywhere, Gracie.
Anything you want,
Tell me,
And we can do it.
We can do anything,
Okay?”
“Okay,” I say.
“But we can never
Ever
Fall in love.
Do you understand?”
“Yes,” I whisper.
“I understand.”
But her warning comes too late.




The ending to this was so, so sad! I cried buckets! Best to have lots of tissues on hand for this one.

“Do you promise to live
Without me, if I don’t make it.”




8 out of 10

2 comments:

  1. This looks very powerful. I'll have to put on my big-girl pants to read this one. :-)

    Anna from Elements of Writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this looks like a sucker punch of feels.

    ReplyDelete