Thursday, 24 September 2015

Mirrored by Alex Flinn

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Mirrored
Blurb (from Goodreads):
A modern, multi-generational tale of Kendra, the witch from "Snow White," who trains Violet, an ugly, lonely, and heartbroken girl in the 1980s who transforms herself into "the fairest one of all" but still cannot win Greg's heart, and Celine, Greg's daughter with Violet's high school rival, Jennifer.
 

Mirrored by Alex Flinn

My rating: 3 of 5 stars




Mirrored “Mirror, mirror, in my hand, who is the fairest in the land?”



This was an okay Snow White retelling, but I did have some issues with it.

The first part of this story is told from the point of view of Violet, who is bullied because she is ugly, to the point where she is attacked, her best friend deserts her, and her life is generally unbearable. I have to say that I felt really sorry for Violet, and I appreciated the way she went out of her way to help injured animals, even if she didn’t really understand what she was doing.

The second part of the story is then told from the point of view of Celine, who is more beautiful than her step-mother Violet (yes, the same Violet from part 1). Things then get pretty bad for Celine, because Violet has turned a bit violent, and hates that her step-daughter is more beautiful than she.

The problem I had with this though, is that while Violet is quite obviously a little deranged, and has become the stereotypical wicked step-mother, I still felt sorry for her! The whole reason she was that way was because of her mother’s belief that beauty was important, and the fact that she was bullied so much as a child! It wasn’t exactly her fault that she turned out the way she did! A lot of people had a hand in making her the way she was, and she was originally the victim.

“Another mom would have said something about looks not being important or that I’d get pretty one day when I was older. That she said neither proved that she didn’t believe those things.”



Anyway, the second problem I had with this book was the slow pace, and probably a little bit of wrong-author for me, as I found this author’s other books to be similarly dull and slow. I also didn’t really buy the romance, and found the ending to be a little obvious, and yes, I know it’s supposed to be a retelling, but the author tried to throw in a twist that didn’t fool me for an instant.



6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment