Sunday, 27 September 2015

I Wish (I Wish #1) by Elizabeth Langston

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to FictionEtc Press and NetGalley.
I Wish (I Wish, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):

What Lacey needs is a miracle. What she gets is a genie with rules.

Lacey Linden is hiding the truth of her life—a depressed mom, a crumbling house, and bills too big to pay. While her high school classmates see a girl with a ready smile and good grades, Lacey spends her evenings seeking ways to save her family. On a get-cash-quick trip to the flea market, Lacey stumbles over a music box that seemingly begs her to take it home. She does, only to find it is inhabited by a gorgeous "genie." He offers her a month of wishes, one per day, but there's a catch. Each wish must be humanly possible.

Grant belongs to a league of supernatural beings, dedicated to serving humans in need. After two years of fulfilling the boring wishes of conventional teens, he is one assignment away from promotion to a challenging new role with more daring cases. Yet his month with Lacey is everything that he expects and nothing like he imagines. Lacey and Grant soon discover that the most difficult task of all might be saying goodbye.


I Wish by Elizabeth Langston

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I Wish (I Wish, #1)
“My official title is ‘Benevolent Supernatural Being.’”



This was an okay paranormal romance, but the pace was pretty slow.

I felt quite sorry for Lacey in this story, coping with her mother’s depression was bad enough, without having the worries of paying the mortgage and keeping her family fed. The way that everybody kept telling her that ‘all she thought about was money’ was also unfair because she needed to think about money or they’d end up on the streets!

The storyline in this was a bit mushy, and I didn’t really like the romance. The rules concerning when genie’s could grant were pretty awful – no such thing as ‘can’t kill anybody, can’t make anyone fall in love, and can’t bring anyone back from the dead’, oh no, these rules were much worse! What use is a genie if he won’t use magic, can’t do anything that a human can’t, and won’t make you rich?! Not much use in my opinion.

The ending to this was okay, but it did leave certain things open, which I wasn’t really happy about.



6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment