Tuesday, 1 September 2015

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Penguin Random House UK Children’s, and NetGalley.
Everything, Everything
Blurb (From Goodreads):
This innovative, heartfelt debut novel tells the story of a girl who's literally allergic to the outside world. When a new family moves in next door, she begins a complicated romance that challenges everything she's ever known. The narrative unfolds via vignettes, diary entries, texts, charts, lists, illustrations, and more.

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I'm allergic to the world.I don't leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He's tall, lean and wearing all black--black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can't predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It's almost certainly going to be a disaster.


Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Everything, Everything(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Penguin Random House UK Children’s, and NetGalley.)

“Where do you want to go the most?” he asks.
“Besides outer space?”
“Yes, Maddy, besides outer space.”




This was one of those books, that’s just okay, and then there’s a massive twist at the end which is the best part of the whole book.

I felt sorry for poor Madeline in this story. To be unable to leave your room, to not be allowed to have friends or to speak to anyone other than your mother and your nurse would be horrible. She was basically a prisoner in her own life, and it was so sad that she had never seen the ocean or even worn a bathing suit.

“So, why outer space first?” he asks.
I shrug. “I want to see the world, I guess.”




The storyline in this a bit dull for me. I didn’t find Madeline and Ollie’s conversations to be all that interesting, and then when Ollie was sneaking over to see her it just seemed like a really bad idea because oh yes – it could kill her!

“Maybe he could come over for a visit?”



The romance was quite a big part of this story, but I just didn’t feel it. I was glad that Madeline and Ollie were happy though, even if what they were doing was incredibly irresponsible. I seriously hope that a person with SCID doesn’t read this book and copy what this pair were getting up to because it could seriously kill them!

“Kissing is all I think about.”



The ending to this was okay, and I was surprised by the huge twist we got thrown. Overall I was happy that things worked out well for Madeline though.
6 out of 10


1 comment:

  1. I must say that I do like the sarcastic tone of the blurb, though. Gotta love narrator sass.

    ReplyDelete