Sunday, 9 August 2015

Unbroken by Kay Causer

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Kay Causer.
Unbroken
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Have you ever felt like you weren’t a person but rather the pieces of one, not yet formed into a whole? That’s how I feel sometimes. I guess that’s why I’m here.

Noah has been in St Helen’s mental institution for months now and nothing has changed. Despite the best efforts of his doctors he still has the panic attacks, still can’t face his parents and still isn’t ready to leave. But maybe that’s okay because at least he has friends inside. Real friends. The kind he can call his own.

Okay, so maybe they’re not the best – Charlie hasn’t spoken since the accident and Brandon is an aggressive bully – but they accept him for who he is. And then there’s James. James who understands better than anyone else what he’s going through. Maybe he even understands more than Noah himself. But that’s not why James is fast becoming the most important thing in the world for him. No, that’s a secret he’s not ready to admit yet. Not even to himself.

Unbroken is a story about hitting rock bottom, finding love in the most unexpected of places and most importantly about learning how to put the pieces back together again.


Unbroken by Kay Causer

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Unbroken

“I knew deep down that if I had just one person to stand by me, one person to trust me, then I could get through anything. I just never felt that from her or dad.”



This was a YA contemporary story about two boys in a mental care facility who fall in love.

I felt like Noah was a little mixed up and all over the place in this book, his emotions and thoughts were just scattered, and it felt like he really wasn’t sure where he was in life, which made his stay in a mental health facility look necessary! He didn’t have supportive parents at all though, and he didn’t really know what was happening with James either.

“If he would just behave the way we raised him instead of all this acting out then I’m sure he could just come home and things could be the way they were before.”



The storyline in this was about Noah’s delicate mental state, and his blossoming relationship with James. I did feel for him because he seemed so lost, and he didn’t seem to be getting any less lost as the book progressed; poor kid!

“We only have the one child and he has to go and make a show of himself by dying his hair and listening to that awful music instead of focussing on his schoolwork.”



The romance in this was a same-sex relationship between Noah and James, and it really was a case of waiting for the proverbial poop to hit the fan when Noah’s parents found out!

“I’m gay.”



The ending to this was pretty good, and I was pleased that we got a happily ever after.




6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment