Friday, 28 August 2015

The Diviners (The Diviners #1) by Libba Bray

The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Evie O’Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City—and she is pos-i-tute-ly ecstatic. It’s 1926, and New York is filled with speakeasies, Ziegfeld girls, and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is that she has to live with her uncle Will and his unhealthy obsession with the occult.

Evie worries he’ll discover her darkest secret: a supernatural power that has only brought her trouble so far. But when the police find a murdered girl branded with a cryptic symbol and Will is called to the scene, Evie realizes her gift could help catch a serial killer.

As Evie jumps headlong into a dance with a murderer, other stories unfold in the city that never sleeps. A young man named Memphis is caught between two worlds. A chorus girl named Theta is running from her past. A student named Jericho hides a shocking secret. And unknown to all, something dark and evil has awakened.


The Diviners by Libba Bray

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)This book took a looooooong time to read, but I didn’t hate it.

Evie was one of those people who would probably irritate me a bit in real life, because she was always off on some random endeavour, and seemed to 100% believe things that other people might have a tough time believing.

The storyline in this was unbelievably slow, and this book was really long. I did find this irritating in places, and other places were just really dull, but overall the book was enjoyable, it just needed a lot of patience, and putting down, and coming back to, to get through it, and normally I don’t think I’d have had the patience!

The ending to this was okay, but I’m not going to be rushing to read the next book in the series. The pace just let it down too much.
6 out of 10


2 comments:

  1. I have seen this one flaunted over the whole of the internet, butnever really had a desire or reason to read it. I have even less reason now. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you didn't love this as much as I did! It's definitely a LOOOONG book and it was slow for me at times too. I guess because it was my first historical fiction, that I more fell in love with the feel of the book than the actual book. Evie would TOTALLY get on my nerves IRL. I'd have to put tape on her mouth.

    ReplyDelete