Tuesday, 25 August 2015

Mechanica by Betsy Cornwell

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and Edelweiss.
Mechanica
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Nicolette’s awful stepsisters call her “Mechanica” to demean her, but the nickname fits: she learned to be an inventor at her mother’s knee. Her mom is gone now, though, and the Steps have turned her into a servant in her own home.

But on her sixteenth birthday, Nicolette discovers a secret workshop in the cellar and begins to dare to imagine a new life for herself. Could the mysterious books and tools hidden there—and the mechanical menagerie, led by a tiny metal horse named Jules—be the key to escaping her dreary existence? With a technological exposition and royal ball on the horizon, the timing might just be perfect for Nicolette to earn her freedom at last.

Gorgeous prose and themes of social justice and family shine in this richly imagined Cinderella retelling about an indomitable inventor who finds her prince . . . but realizes she doesn't want a fairy tale happy ending after all.


Mechanica by Betsy Cornwell

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Mechanica

“I went to the cellar to check on my shoes. The glass had been cooling for hours now, but I still wasn’t sure if they’d be ready in time.”



Maybe it was just because of that pretty cover, but I expected so much more from this book.

I didn’t really like Nicolette in this story, not only did not come across the way I would expect Cinderella to come across, but she seemed to care more about her mechanical creations than real-life people, including the prince! She also seemed to be a bit violent, and wasn’t even all that bothered about going to the ball! I mean really?

"I swung my fist at her face. I landed a punch, but Chastity was already behind me."



I have to say that I really struggled with this book. The storyline just couldn’t keep my interest, and my mind wandered. I nodded off, I thought about cleaning my kitchen, I wished that the other half wasn’t watching the TV so that I could play guitar hero, I even considered cleaning my little boys room – that’s how bored I was. I mean there wasn’t even any romance!



The ending to this was likewise disappointing. (highlight to view spoiler - what kind of freaking Cinderella doesn’t marry her Prince?! Are you freaking kidding me?!

“I can’t marry you. I love you, for a few moments, I even thought I was in love with you. But I can’t marry you.”
)




4 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment