Wednesday, 12 August 2015

Damage Done by Amanda Panitch

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Random House Children's and NetGalley.
Damage Done
Blurb (from Goodreads):
"Exceedingly clever and surprisingly unsettling, Damage Done is an unforgettable read." --Melissa Marr, New York Times bestselling author of Made for You

"In her incredible debut novel, Amanda Panitch leaves you on the edge of your seat. Prepare to be stunned. Prepare to be torn apart." --Roxane Gay, New York Times bestselling author of Bad Feminist

"A brilliant thriller. Gillian Flynn for the YA set." --Amy Christine Parker, author of Gated

22 minutes separate Julia Vann’s before and after.

Before: Julia had a twin brother, a boyfriend, and a best friend.

After: She has a new identity, a new hometown, and memories of those twenty-two minutes that refuse to come into focus. At least, that’s what she tells the police.

Now that she’s Lucy Black, she's able to begin again. She's even getting used to the empty bedroom where her brother should be. And her fresh start has attracted the attention of one of the hottest guys in school, a boy who will do anything to protect her. But when someone much more dangerous also takes notice, Lucy's forced to confront the dark secrets she thought were safely left behind.

One thing is clear: The damage done can never be erased. It’s only just beginning. . . .


Damage Done by Amanda Panitch

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Damage Done

“You have to understand, my brother and I were born hand in hand. As in, we literally had our fingers entwined inside the womb.”



This was an interesting YA mystery story, and the answer as to what had happened was even more messed-up than I guessed!

Julie seemed a bit traumatised by what had happened to her, and once we began to findout what had happened it was clear why. I did think that Julie herself came across as a little odd, but that could have been put down to PTSD.

“What happened in the band room, Julie?”



The storyline in this was about Julie’s new life, and also about her brother (can’t say any more because of spoilers though). I did guess some of the details of what had happened, but I didn’t guess it all as it was even worse than I expected!

“Eleven people died,” I said. “One was my boyfriend. One was my best friend. One was my teacher.”



There was some romance in this, but it was a bit weird, and wasn’t the sort of thing you could enjoy, as it was very controversial.

“You sound just like your brother.”



The ending to this was okay, and overall the story was okay, I would have liked a faster pace though.



6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment