Tuesday, 4 August 2015

Bleeding Earth by Kaitlin Ward

Sponsored post:I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Egmont USA and NetGalley.

Blurb (from Goodreads):
YA Highway blogger Kaitlin Ward's debut YA novel, Bleeding Earth. Lea was in a cemetery when the earth started bleeding. Within twenty-four hours, the blood made international news. All over the world, blood appeared out of the ground, even through concrete, even in water. Then the earth started growing hair and bones. Lea wants to ignore the blood. She wants to spend time with her new girlfriend, Aracely, in public, if only Aracely wasn't so afraid of her father. Lea wants to be a regular teen again, but the blood has made her a prisoner in her own home. Fear for her social life turns into fear for her sanity, and Lea must save herself and Aracely whatever way she can.

Bleeding Earth by Kaitlin Ward

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Bleeding Earth(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Egmont USA and NetGalley.)

“This is the beginning of the end.”



This was an interesting apocalyptic/ horror story, although the ending did leave me with unanswered questions.

“The blood I saw today was only the beginning. It’s happening everywhere. Everywhere in the entire world.”



I liked Lea, and I felt really sorry for her at points. What was happening with the blood was really not nice, and when people started acting like idiots it made things worse. Lea wasn’t exempt from making bad decisions though, who thinks it’s a good idea to go to a party in the park when the world is flooded with blood and hair?

“The usual ten-minute walk from my house to the park turns into twenty because I have to pick my way across the bone-encrusted ground. I trip twice, but luckily, I regain my balance both times. Hair catches at my boots, but I pull free of that, too, without having to use my knife. This party is starting to feel like a really terrible idea.”



The storyline in this was pretty good, and as things got worse and worse, and things got worse and worse, and more and more disgusting, the book actually got more and more interesting!

“Hey, Hill, look out, it’s…” I trail off because what’s smeared on the heel of my shoes isn’t mud. It’s darker. It’s red.
“What happened?” Hillary’s voice has an edge again.
“I don’t know. Something weird’s on my shoe.”
I crouch and inspect the ground. The grass is slick with a reddish-copper substance.
“Blood,” I say aloud. “I just stepped in f*cking blood.”




I have to say that this book did get pretty gross as it went on, but it was actually nice to read a book that was moderately gross and scary, and didn’t just pretend to be a horror story! I also liked how atmospheric this story was, I could actually imagined how disgusting it would be to be going through something like this!

“The web of hair hidden beneath the blood’s surface is wicked thick at this point. It bothers me more than anything else. Because it’s hair. Other people’s hair. Dead people’s hair. And not just from their heads.”



There was some romance, although not a lot. It was girl on girl though, which I know some people might not appreciate. Lea and Aracely were pretty cute together though, and I really wanted them to stay together, even if Aracely’s parents weren’t aware of the relationship!

“Then we find that moment where everything aligns, and the kissing feels like kissing and I decide it’s a great one.”



The ending to this wasn’t perfect for me. I liked the way things escalated, I liked that there was lots of deaths, lots of obstacles, and lots of questions over who would live and who would die, but I felt like when the book ended, there were still loads of unanswered questions! (Highlight to view spoiler - did her father know? He did tell her that the dam was equipped to 'ride it out' - did he know that it would end so soon? What started it and why did it end? )
Overall; a disgustingly bloody story, with plenty of death and disaster!

7.5 out of 10

“It’s the sidewalk people are pointing at. The sidewalk they’re abandoning in droves.
But the sidewalk’s fine. It’s –
It’s not fine.
Holy sh*t.
I crouch carefully on the bottom step, peering down. There’s something red seeping up through the cracks between slabs of the sidewalk. Spilling over and dripping onto the street. It’s impossible and it’s insane, and part of me thinks I’m having a hallucination.
Beloveds, don’t be afraid, the sign still proclaims brightly beside me. But I am. I am suddenly so afraid that the fear becomes a white-hot brand, pressed into my heart. And I should be, because something impossible is happening.
The earth is bleeding.”

No comments:

Post a Comment