Tuesday, 4 August 2015

Awake by Natasha Preston

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to SOURCEBOOKS Fire and NetGalley.
Awake
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Scarlett doesn’t remember anything before the age of five. Her parents say it’s from the trauma of seeing her house burn down, and she accepts the life they’ve created for her without question—until a car accident causes Scarlett to start remembering pieces of an unfamiliar past.

When a new guy moves into town, Scarlett feels an instant spark. But Noah knows the truth of Scarlett’s past, and he’s determined to shield her from it...because Scarlett grew up in a cult called Eternal Light, controlled by her biological parents.

And they want her back.


Awake by Natasha Preston

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Awake(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to SOURCEBOOKS Fire and NetGalley.)

“Wow, that’s a lot of people you’ve brainwashed. Nice one.”



This wasn’t awful, but I didn’t enjoy it much either.

Scarlett was a bit of a nothingness character, I didn’t really like her, I didn’t hate her, she irritated me a little maybe, but mainly I didn’t really feel anything for her. (highlight to view spoiler - Which considering her biological parents were trying to kill her, was surprising. I would have expected to feel sorry for her at least. )

“You can’t be serious? Why’re you doing this to me?”



The storyline in this one just didn’t really do it for me. I found Scarlett’s horror over not remembering anything before the age of 4 a little strange. I personally can’t remember a vast amount from before the age of 4, and I’m guessing that’s probably the same for a lot of people, and the way she basically introduced herself as ‘Hi, I’m Scarlett, I can’t remember anything before the age of 4’ was a bit weird.

“Tell me something about yourself.”…
“I remember nothing before the age of four.”

(Page 5)



We did get a slightly interesting plot point coming out at the 40% mark, but even that couldn’t save the book for me. I got bored, and I stayed bored.

(highlight to view spoiler - “What are you not telling me?” I repeated. Dad closed his eyes and said, “Donald and Fiona are your biological parents.” The air left my lungs in a rush. “And the sacrifice was you.” )

We got some romance, which was pretty quick, and fairly sickening. If you have a problem with insta-love, I’d avoid this book.

“One hundred and eleven. That was how many texts had gone back and forth between me and Noah in the six days we’d known each other. It was a ridiculous amount of texts to send a virtual stranger. But he didn’t feel like a stranger.”



The ending was fairly happy, but we then got thrown a cliff-hanger at the end. (highlight to view spoiler - Shock, Evelyn (baby sister thought sacrificed) is still alive! And Scarlett is going to find her no matter what! **Yawn** )
4 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment