Thursday, 2 July 2015

The Accident Season by Moïra Fowley-Doyle

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Random House Children’s Publishers UK and NetGalley.

Blurb (from Goodreads):
For fans of We Were Liars and How I Live Now comes an addictive, sexy, twisty YA novel you won't want to miss Every October Cara and her family become inexplicably and unavoidably accident-prone. Some years it's bad, like the season when her father died, and some years it's just a lot of cuts and scrapes. This accident season--when Cara, her ex-stepbrother, Sam, and her best friend, Bea, are 17--is going to be a bad one. But not for the reasons they think. Cara is about to learn that not all the scars left by the accident season are physical: There's a long-hidden family secret underneath the bumps and bruises. This is the year Cara will finally fall desperately in love, when she'll start discovering the painful truth about the adults in her life, and when she'll uncover the dark origins of the accident season--whether she’s ready or not.


The Accident Season by Moïra Fowley-Doyle

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


The Accident Season(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Random House Children’s Publishers UK and NetGalley.)

“It’s the accident season, the same time every year. Bones break, skin tears, bruises bloom.”



This was a strange but captivating book, and I liked the twists.

I really liked the characters in this book, even if they made some suspect decisions. Who sits near a railway line, who goes into abandoned buildings during ‘accident season’? (a month-long period during which you are most likely to be injured). Surely that is just asking for trouble!

“You know,” I say to Bea a bit breathlessly, “for someone who’s so afraid of accidents, I sure do a lot of stupid stuff.”



Bea was also a funny character, and I loved her tarot cards and strange tales!

“But every once in a while,” Bea continues, “the prettiest virgins would find an object they weren’t supposed to touch, and that was the witch’s kiss. All witches keep their kisses in everyday objects, so that their hearts won’t beak too often.”



The storyline in this was pretty good, and I liked the way there was plenty of mystery and I wasn’t sure what was going on. The story also had a bit of a magical feel to it which I also liked.

“All around the clearing, hanging from the branches of every tree, is a flock of dreamcatchers, the kind you can get at the Saturday market in Galway: colourful webbed circles hung with little beads and feathers.”



I also really liked the idea of the secrets box, and I loved the little 'Irish' moments, such as when someone asks 'Will I call an ambulance?' - only in Ireland would someone say 'Will I?' instead of 'Should I?'.

There was some romance, and even though it was a little taboo, I thought that this couple were really sweet together!

“I’m just so ridiculously in love with you.” The tear in my world is getting bigger. Soon it’ll blow the whole universe apart. “I try to hide it, I try to stop it, I try to bloody kill it but it just won’t go away.”



The ending to this was pretty good, and I liked the revelations at the end. This story had a little bit of magic, a little bit of romance, and a touch of the paranormal, and it was really good!
7.5 out of 10


2 comments:

  1. I really love this review Sarah! Especially the pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had my eye on this for awhile. Strange with twists is enough to sell me. I like books that are different, and even better when they can take me by surprise. Stupid characters can be annoying, but I am glad that you still enjoyed them. I look forward to giving this one a try. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete