Friday, 10 July 2015

Seed by Lisa Heathfield

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Perseus Books Group, Running Press and NetGalley.
Seed
Blurb (From Goodreads):
All that Pearl knows can be encapsulated in one word: Seed. It is the isolated community that she was born into. It is the land that she sows and reaps. It is the center of her family and everything that means home. And it is all kept under the watchful eye of Papa S.

At fifteen years old, Pearl is finally old enough to be chosen as Papa S’s companion. She feels excitement... and surprising trepidation that she cannot explain. The arrival of a new family into the Seed community — particularly the teenage son, Ellis — only complicates the life and lifestyle that Pearl has depended upon as safe and constant.

Ellis is compelling, charming, and worldly, and he seems to have a lot of answers to questions Pearl has never thought to ask. But as Pearl digs to the roots of the truth, only she can decide what she will allow to come to the surface.


Seed by Lisa Heathfield

My rating: 3.25 of 5 stars


Seed(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Perseus Books Group, Running Press and NetGalley.)

“Here, crouched beside the toilet, I’m terrified I’m dying. My stomach must be bleeding, or my liver, or my kidneys. Something inside me has somehow got cut. Spots of blood smear my underwear. I wipe myself with toilet paper and there’s more blood. Am I being punished for something I have said or done?”



This was a YA story about a girl living in a cult, who didn’t know enough to realise that the way she lived was weird.

I felt quite sorry for Pearl in this story, she knew so little about her own life, and didn’t even know who her mother was, and the way she was treated at times was awful. She was naïve, but it seemed quite obvious that it was because of the way she had been raised, but she maybe could have been a little more questioning about things than she was. I couldn’t help but feel sorry for her that she didn’t even know to expect her period, and thought that she was dying!

“Are you trying to heal me?” I whisper. And she smiles.
“You don’t need healing. You’re not dying, Pearl. You are fifteen years old and you’re changing from a child to a woman.”




The storyline in this followed Pearl as she lived at the cult, and as a new family moved in, along with a teenage son Ellis. It seemed like Pearl was discovering feelings for Ellis, but at the same time she was also being punished for bad behaviour, and dissuaded from these ‘wrong’ thoughts. Some of the things that went on in Seed were really bad though, and the ‘accidents’ that kept happening were really not nice.

“Your precious Kindred John. Those were Ellis’s words.
It wasn’t an accident.”




The ending to this was okay, but it did leave me questioning whether there would be another book about Pearl in the future, as the ending of this was quite open.
6.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment