Saturday, 11 July 2015

One Chance Night (Make A Change #1) by Eliza Boyd

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Eliza Boyd, Patchwork Press and NetGalley.
One Chance Night
Blurb (from Goodreads):
On the surface, Chelsea Greer has it all:
A loving husband.
A nice house.
A good job.

In reality, she works hard to maintain the illusion that is her life. She's also missing the most important thing:

Love.

One night could change her life. One night could give her the strength to rediscover what's important. In one night, she could find love when she most needs it and least expects it.

All Chelsea has to do is follow her heart after One Chance Night.


One Chance Night by Eliza Boyd

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


One Chance Night(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Eliza Boyd, Patchwork Press and NetGalley.)

“Oh, that’s right. The diet.” He says with a pleased tenor in his voice. “Ten more pounds and then I’ll get to say I got to fuck you when you were skinny.”



I had issues with this book.

I did feel a little bit sorry for Chelsea in this book, having an ass for a husband isn’t nice, but at the same time, boy did she whine! All I heard was ‘poor me’, ‘I don’t love my husband’, ‘I don’t want to have sex with my husband’, ‘I don’t even like my husband’, ‘I don’t want to be married to my husband any more’ – then do something about it!! Either work on your marriage, try to fall in love with him again, or tell him you want a divorce, or leave! Yes they were married and lived together, but they had no kids, and she had her own job, if she was that unhappy then she should darn well do something about it!

“He sidles up behind me while I’m flipping a pancake in the pan and snakes his arms around my waist. The pancake somehow makes it out of the ordeal in one piece, but I don’t miss the firmness pressing against my backside.
I thought I’d escaped that activity already today.”




Okay, first rant over. On to the second. So, Chelsea doesn’t like her husband, she goes out for the night with a work colleague, and meets another man who she is attracted to. He talks to her about her awful marriage, and tells her to spend the night with him! No funny business, just talking (because obviously her husband will assume that she’s been out all night with another man just talking). How is this a good idea? How is this other man getting involved in their marriage going to help anything? Why does he even want to insert himself into their mess of a marriage?

“Spend the night with me.”



Anyway, while there was no out-and-out cheating in this book, spending the night in a motel room with another man does not sound like the sort of behaviour a girl should be getting involved in when she is married, whether it’s a happy marriage or not.

“I feel different around you. Accepted or something. Not belittled or judged.”



So, things did get sorted out, and we did get a rosy ending, but unfortunately the above things just left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.
6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment