Sunday, 19 July 2015

Nowhere But Here (Thunder Road #1) by Katie McGarry

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin (UK) Limited and NetGalley.

Blurb (from Goodreads)
An unforgettable new series from acclaimed author Katie McGarry about taking risks, opening your heart and ending up in a place you never imagined possible.

Seventeen-year-old Emily likes her life the way it is: doting parents, good friends, good school in a safe neighborhood. Sure, she's curious about her biological father—the one who chose life in a motorcycle club, the Reign of Terror, over being a parent—but that doesn't mean she wants to be a part of his world. But when a reluctant visit turns to an extended summer vacation among relatives she never knew she had, one thing becomes clear: nothing is what it seems. Not the club, not her secret-keeping father and not Oz, a guy with suck-me-in blue eyes who can help her understand them both.

Oz wants one thing: to join the Reign of Terror. They're the good guys. They protect people. They're…family. And while Emily—the gorgeous and sheltered daughter of the club's most respected member—is in town, he's gonna prove it to her. So when her father asks him to keep her safe from a rival club with a score to settle, Oz knows it's his shot at his dream. What he doesn't count on is that Emily just might turn that dream upside down.

No one wants them to be together. But sometimes the right person is the one you least expect, and the road you fear the most is the one that leads you home.


Nowhere But Here by Katie McGarry

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Nowhere But Here (Thunder Road, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin (UK) Limited and NetGalley.)

“Why are you giving up?” I beg. “You swore to me you’d never give up.”



This was a YA contemporary romance about a girl with ties to a motorcycle gang.

Emily was quite a naïve girl in my opinion, I felt like she should have been a little more receptive to what was going on around her, and to have maybe thought a little more. It was like she didn’t compute things she was with her own two eyes, and didn’t come to logical conclusions, which was a little annoying at times.

“Either guest bedroom is yours to use. The one on the left belonged to you. You used to lie in your crib and watch the sunrise with a smile on your face.”



Oz seemed quite sure of himself and what he wanted to do with his life, but he also seemed to have big problems when it came to Emily. It was like his brain literally short circuited, and while he was capable of realising that sleeping when he was supposed to be watching her would get him in trouble, he wasn’t so worried about what being intimate with her would mean! It seemed obvious to me that getting involved with the boss’s daughter would not go down well, and yet he did it anyway!

“I like how you smile and how you laugh. I like how you love and defend your family and I like how you’re trying to love mine. I love how you trust. But mostly, Emily, I like how I feel when I’m around you.”



The storyline in this was about Emily meeting her father’s family, and learning a bit about them, as well as falling in love with Oz, and finding out more about her past, and the things that happened when she was really young that had been kept from her. This story in itself was okay, but the pace was way off for me. I felt like this book just moved so slowly, and it needed to be about half as long as it actually was. There just wasn’t enough going on in the book to warrant 500 pages.

"You're not a brother and as a woman you will never, be but you are important to this club. We will protect you."



The romance in this was okay, but I did find this pairs ignorance over how Emily’s biological father would react to be a bit of an oversight. I can’t say that I really liked the romance in this book all that much, although there was quite a sweet scene between Emily and Oz towards the end of the book. This felt a long time coming though.

“My heart bursts as the words tumble out. “I’m falling for you.””



The ending to this was fairly happy, and we did get a couple of good twists towards the end, the rest of the story was just too slow for me though.
6 out of 10

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the slowness. I wanted it to move more. And I wasn't in love with the romance. I felt like "bam" there it is, when they barely knew each other.

    ReplyDelete