Monday, 13 July 2015

Hard Time by Cara McKenna

Sponsored post: I received a finished paperback of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Clara Diaaz and Little, Brown Book Group.
Hard Time
Blurb (from Goodreads):
My pounding heart went still, eerie as birds fallen silent in the wake of a gunshot.

He was big. Tall frame, wide shoulders-but not burly. His near-black hair was due for a cut, curling under his ears. Dark brows, dark stubble, dark lashes and eyes.

And he was handsome. So handsome it broke your heart.

A deck of cards was split between his hands, paused midshuffle. Some of the men wore navy scrub tops and bottoms, some navy tee shirts, a few white undershirts. This man wore a tee, with COUSINS stenciled on the front, above the number 802267. Those digits imprinted on my brain, burned black as a brand.

He watched me. But not the way the others did. If he was trying to picture me naked, his poker face was strong, though his attention anything but subtle. His entire head moved as I passed through his domain, but his eyes were languorous. Lazy and half-lidded, yet intense. A hundred looks in one. I didn't like it. Couldn't read it. At least with the horny jerk-offs, I knew where I stood.

I wondered what the worst thing you could do and still only get sent to a medium-security prison was. I hoped not to ever learn the answer.

And I hoped to heaven inmate 802267 hadn't signed up for any of the day's programs.

Hard Time by Cara McKenna

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Hard Time(Source: I received a finished paperback of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Clara Diaaz and Little, Brown Book Group)

“What did you do to forfeit your freedom? To deserve this life?
What would you do to me, if it were just the two of us in here?”




This was an interesting adult contemporary romance, but there was a lot of dirty talk!

Does anyone remember that episode of sex and the city where Miranda wasn’t happy because the man she was dating liked to talk dirty? Well this book was like being stuck in that episode! We got dirty letters, and then phone sex, and dirty talk during sex, and I don’t know, it was all just a little bit too much for me. I think I’d rather have a man saying nice things to me rather than dirty things.

“I wondered how you looked,” I muttered, head fuzzy. “When you touched yourself. Thinking about me…”



The storyline in this was focused on the romance, and I did wonder what Annie was getting herself into; flirting with this man who was in prison. She didn’t know who he was or what he had done, and she could have ended up in real trouble!

“I wondered what the worst thing you could do and still only get sent to a medium-security prison was.”



Eric came across as a little desperate to me, which I suppose was understandable having been in prison for 5 years, but he also seemed to lack confidence, which I wasn’t expecting. The number of times he seemed to be worried that he wasn’t big enough or good enough for Annie got a bit old. I mean did he really need to ask her if he was big enough? It’s not like there’s a lot he can do if she says no!

“Am I big enough for you?”



So maybe people who like a bit of dirty talk would like this book?



6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment