Friday, 24 July 2015

Guardian of Paradise by W.E. Lawrence

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author W.E. Lawrence.
Guardian of Paradise
Blurb (from Goodreads):
In 1888, beautiful but quite capable Kira Wall was living a challenging and enjoyable life in a relatively isolated culture. However, her world gets turned upside down with the arrival of an Australian merchant ship carrying the evil and deceiving Captain Darcy Coleman along with its handsome doctor, Trevor Marshall. Each man, in his own way, possesses the ability to charm and seduce. For the innocent souls of the remote island paradise, including Kira, they are both intoxicating and will, using different methods, test her will to the limit.

After she reluctantly agrees to be Trevor’s guide, things become unraveled when she suspects he is distracting her from the renegade captain who has his own ulterior, “get rich”, motives for being there. Her situation becomes desperate when no one will listen. The evil captain has a devilishly captivating manner, plenty of "modern" goods with which to woo the islanders, and a clever ability to lie his way out of suspicion. He has also brought a new invention, dynamite.


Guardian of Paradise by W.E. Lawrence

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Guardian of Paradise(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author W.E. Lawrence.)

“We are happy to greet anyone who comes to our island in peace.”



This was an adult historical romance, set on an island.

Kira was a woman who seemed to care for everybody on the island where she lived, and she was a bit wary of strangers. She seemed to like Trevor though, and they seemed to get along pretty well.

“I think we know each other well enough for you to call me Trevor from now on.”



The storyline in this was about a boat full of men approaching the island where Kira lived, and asking if they could harvest some of the food grown on the island. I did find the pace in this quite slow though, and to be honest I kept wanting to put this down and not pick it up again.

“This is the richest soil I’ve ever laid eyes on.”



There were a few other storylines going on, but there was also a romance between Kira and Trevor. I can’t say I really enjoyed the romance in this though. I’m not sure why, maybe it’s because I didn’t really warm to Trevor, but there was just something lacking for me, and I didn’t enjoy the sex scenes either unfortunately. I just didn’t feel like they fitted in with the rest of the book, and Trevor was a little rough with Kira considering that she was a virgin.



The ending to this was okay, but to be honest I was glad to finish the story. Maybe this was just a case of wrong person, wrong book, but I didn’t really enjoy this one much. It does look like I'm very much the odd one out with reards to this book though.



A generous - 6 out of 10 - just because I think that other people will like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment