Monday, 20 July 2015

Don't Ever Change by M. Beth Bloom

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Don't Ever Change
Blurb (From Goodreads):
Sometimes the only way to learn about yourself is to try to change everything about you.

Eva has always wanted to write a modern classic—one that actually appeals to her generation. The only problem is that she’s starting to realize she can’t “write what she knows” because she hasn’t really lived. So the summer before heading off to college, Eva is determined to live a life worth writing about.

But soon Eva’s story starts to go in unexpected directions, like growing apart from her best friends, working at a job she is completely unqualified for, and even falling for the last person she would have ever imagined. Like anyone, though, it will be up to Eva to figure out how she wants this particular chapter in her story to end.

Perfect for fans of E. Lockhart, David Levithan, and Rainbow Rowell, Don’t Ever Change is a witty, snarky, and thought-provoking coming-of-age novel about a teen who sets out to write
better fiction and, ultimately, discovers the truth about herself.


Don't Ever Change by M. Beth Bloom

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Don't Ever Change(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)

“How about, ‘Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do’?”
“Okay,” he says. “So don’t do anything then.”




This was a YA story about one girl’s summer before going to college.

Eva was an okay character, she wanted to be a writer even when people critiqued her work, and she seemed to have a clear idea of what she wanted to do with her life, even if that included ‘changing for Boston’.

“I know Boston’s not going to change me,” I tell Courtney. “I’m going to change for Boston.”



The storyline in this was basically just following Eva during the summer before she went to college, finding out about the camp where she worked, and finding out a bit about the boy that she liked. There wasn’t a great deal else going on really though, although I found her doctor’s advice for her anaemia quite funny (she’s a vegan).

“What’s this?” my sister asks, staring at the page.
“Some prescription,” I say. “For my anemia.”
“He’s just written, 'Eat a cheeseburger'.” Courtney holds up the page so I can see.
“Eat a cheeseburger?” I read aloud. “That jerk!”




There was a little bit of romance, but nothing major.

The ending to this was a little bit of a non-event. The story just seemed to stop, while Eva’s journey didn’t feel like it had really ended. It was almost like we were just getting to the good bit, and then it ended.
6 out of 10

1 comment:

  1. I liked this book for the changes Eva went through. For how she saw that she could be different and think differently. I really liked the interactions she had with the campers and her encouraging them to write. Other than that it was a bit slow for me.

    ReplyDelete