Saturday, 4 July 2015

Dirt Daughter by Michele Shaw

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to MuseItUp Publishing and NetGalley.
Dirt Daughter
Blurb (from Goodreads):
In Dirt Daughter, seventeen-year-old Elena Black has concealed the secret to her childhood friend’s murder for eight years. With the possibility of a college scholarship looming, she plans to keep that secret and flee her dysfunctional home; one with a drug-addicted mother, a stepsister she just met, and a bitter, abusive uncle. But, when a detective reopens the cold case and a friend sets her up on a date with the new boy at school, the past and present collide, threatening Elena’s future plans…and her life.

Dirt Daughter by Michele Shaw

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Dirt Daughter(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to MuseItUp Publishing and NetGalley.)

“I wasn’t sure what words were about to come out of my mouth, but I looked straight into the camera and I began.”



This was a really interesting mystery story, and I really wanted to know what had happened!

I felt quite sorry for Elena in this book. She’d been through a horrible experience, and then to have to lie about it for 8 years just made things worse. Not only did she lose her best friend in a truly horrible way, but she had to live with the guilt of knowing exactly what happened and not being able to tell anyone.

“I’d been a coward for so long. Afraid of what would happen to me, to my family, what everyone would think; I had to decide what to say right then.
I prayed if there was a God, he’d forgive me.”




The storyline in this was about Elena’s life, and the truth that she had covered up about her friend Lizzie’s disappearance. There were other things going on in Elena’s life, including the arrival of a step-sister she didn’t know she had, and her brother’s problems with asthma, not to mention her drug-addled mom, and awful step-father/ uncle (who marries their brother’s widow anyway?!).

“Rick didn’t like us to visit the cemetery. He called hs only brother a good-for-nothing drunk coward who left his family.”



There was some romance, and Chayton and Elena made a cute couple (I’ve never come across the name Chayton before!).

“It’s Chayton,” he finally said. “Don’t call me Chay if you expect me to speak to you.”



The ending to this was pretty good, and although we didn’t get a step-by-step walk through of exactly what happened, we did find out who the killer was!



7 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment