Saturday, 25 July 2015

A Stitch in Time by Ian Murray-Watson

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Ian Murray-Watson.
A Stitch in Time
Blurb (from Goodreads):
A novel about Nothing (and everything). A surreal fantasy in which sacred cows are sent flying in all directions - politicians, scientists, wind farms, supermarkets, even overweight opera singers (though they need a lot of heavy lifting).

There’s a strange blockage in the Time Continuum and Grandfather Time’s glass is stuck. It means the End of Time itself, and that can’t be good. The gods (a coalition government these days) don’t know what to do, and so they ask Astralia (the Dream World) for help. The Astralians aren’t much use either. They can send agents over here (it’s all our fault of course), but once they get here they can’t remember what they’re here for.

In the ‘real’ world scientist Tom meets Lucy, the girl of his dreams. They fall in love, but who are they, really? Are dreams the quantum reality that scientists say they can’t imagine? As Reality disintegrates, is there still Time to save the world? Is the answer always ‘Yes – and No’?

In Reality, Nothing is what it seems.


A Stitch in Time by Ian Murray-Watson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


A Stitch in Time(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Ian Murray-Watson.)

“It appears that by concentrating our resources as we have done, we have inadvertently triggered an inverse relationship in dimension 5 and forced some of its defining constants to become negative – with respect to our own observation of them, of course.”



Well, I’ve spent quite a lot of time reading this book, and trying to figure out – a. what the heck this book is about, and b. what I think to it, and I quite honestly do not know the answer to either of those things.

“Will the canary sing?”
“It might, but it’s not really very likely. Canaries are not very stable, and it may decay into a sparrow and a second gerbil at any moment.”





There were lots of characters in this, a boy called Tom and a girl called Lucy, some peeps called 0 and 1, as well as lots of other inconsequential people, and some people who were watching what was happening to Lucy in her dreams?? I really don’t know. I do know that I wouldn’t want to go to dinner with any of these people though, especially not Tom who’s idea of scintillating dinner-time conversation made me want to throttle him just to get him to shut up.

“No, but… Tom, we’re not dreaming now. We don’t make things up as we go along. Things don’t suddenly change into other things.”
“In a quantum world they do, or they can – or they may, I suppose, to be accurate. In the quantum world there are only possibilities, like in dreams. Anything might happen.”
“What about the people? Are they real, or are they only possibilities you’re dreaming about?”
“As real as anything else. As real as you or me anyway. Maybe they’re only versions of ourselves, or maybe we’re just versions of them. I don’t know.”




The storyline… oh dear me, I am just lost as to what this book was about. There seemed to be several little snippets of scenes, and I struggled to make sense of any of them. There was talk of white holes and complex hamsters, the first of which I’m sure is theoretical, and the second of which I have absolutely no clue about, and the rest of the book made just as much sense. I kept reading the short, oddly named little chapters, hoping that at some point one of them was going to pull everything together, and that I would suddenly understand what the heck I was reading, but now I’ve finished, and I’m still waiting.

"A white hole creates information, but it has to devour all existing realities to do so. Now you see why your exemption has been countermanded."



This could of course just be me. I don’t claim to be a rocket scientist, even if I do have an A-level in physics, and I’d love to get a cat just so that I could name it Schrödinger. But this book just made no sense to me, and my brain doesn’t cope well with things it doesn’t understand.



A generous – 6 out of 10 – even if just because the author is a very nice person.

1 comment: