Monday, 8 June 2015

Where You End by Anna Pellicioli

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Flux and NetGalley.
Where You End
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Miriam Feldman was always attracted to the artists, the musicians, the boys who wore broken-down cardigans. Boys like Elliot. Their relationship was intense, passionate, all consuming. When they were together, Miriam knew who she was, in the way you can only know when you're deeply in love. But then it ended, and Miriam had to move on. Even after Elliot started seeing someone else. Even after she impulsively destroyed a priceless work of art. Even after she was blackmailed by the mystery girl who saw her do it. After all this, Miriam had to go on with her life. If only she knew how.
 

Where You End by Anna Pellicioli

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Where You End(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Flux and NetGalley.)

"What do you want Elliot? You happened. You left. Now stop happening."



This was an okay story, but I did find it quite hard to make sense of.

Miriam was quite an impulsive girl, and she also came across as a little selfish at times. Her actions at the museaum were odd, and I found her to be a bit strange throughout the book.

"Everything in my body is a little off balance. My right arm is longer than my left, my hip is sharp against my jeans, my face is cold on one side and hot on the other. All the organs and limbs are answering to some random call, in no particular order. I am here, the spleen says; don't forget me, the heel cries; keep me safe, the mind orders."



The storyline in this was about Miriam pushing over a statue at a museum because she was mad at life (and her boyfriend Elliot for dumping her), and her then meeting with a woman named Eva, who had problems of her own. I found this whole book to be quite strange though, and struggled to work out the relevance of certain things.

"But I broke it. I broke something. I destroyed something, and then it wasn't anymore. I destroyed it. I did that. It was safe and then it wasn't. It was love and then it wasn't. How could that be love?"



There was a bit of romance, but it was mostly Miriam agonising over her break up with Elliot.

“I am Miriam, singing a song for the sorry women. He is Elliot, sharing museum fries with his new girl. We are over. It exhausts me.”



The ending to this was okay, but it seemed a little annoying that the story finished with a letter, and I wanted to know what would happen when the letter was received!



6 out of 10

1 comment:

  1. The synopsis of this just doesn't grab me. Thanks for letting me know what the book is about!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete