Sunday, 21 June 2015

The Ugly Stepsister by Aya Ling

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Aya Ling and NetGalley.
The Ugly Stepsister
Blurb (from Goodreads):
When Kat accidentally rips apart an old picture book, she's magically transported into the world of Cinderella--as Katriona, one of the ugly stepsisters! Life turns upside down now that she’s a highborn lady and must learn how to survive the social season, including how to get through the door in a huge metal hoop skirt. To get back, she'll have to complete the story, right to the end of happily ever after. But the odds are huge: the other stepsister is drop-dead gorgeous, the fairy godmother is nowhere to be found, and the prince, despite being insanely hot, openly dislikes balls. Can she ever return to the modern world?

The Ugly Stepsister by Aya Ling

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The Ugly Stepsister(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Aya Ling and NetGalley.)

“Am I one of the ugly stepsisters?”
His grin grows wider.
Damn. “If I have to be in the story, why aren’t I Cinderella?”




This was an interesting retelling of Cinderella, in that it didn’t follow the original story very rigidly at all.

I felt quite sorry for Kat in this story, she seemed to be given an insurmountable task in order to return home and to her family, and I wasn’t quite sure how she would actually accomplish it!

“So all I have to do it get Cinderella to the ball, the prince falls in love with her, and then the curse is broken and I can return?”
He waggles a crooked finger at me.
“Not yet. You can’t stop at the ball when she runs out and leaves her slipper behind. You must follow it all the way to the end. The story is only finished when they’re married with wedding bells pealing and white doves soaring.”




The storyline in this didn’t follow the storyline of Cinderella, but instead followed Kat as she tried to recreate the story, and failed badly! There was some very different situations, with this Cinderella even having her own family, and I was kept guessing for a long time as to what would happen.

“So when is the ball?”
“No idea.”
“Where’s the fairy godmother?”
“No idea.”




There was some romance in this, but it left Kat in a very difficult position, and I wasn’t sure how things would work out.

“I keep telling myself that I shouldn’t fall for you, but I can’t help it.”



The ending to this was good, although I wasn’t perfect. I liked that this book wasn’t a straightforward retelling though.



6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment