Sunday, 21 June 2015

The Returned by Seth Patrick

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to SOURCEBOOKS Landmark and NetGalley.
The Returned
Blurb (from Goodreads):
In an Alpine town reeling from a devastating accident, the families of dead wish their lost loved ones could come back...only to wake up one day to the chilling reality of their prayers being answered. But the victims of the accident are not the only ones to have returned from the dead. Their arrival coincides with a series of grizzly murders which bear a chilling resemblance to the work of a serial killer from the past...

A stunning page-turner filled with startlingly real characters, Seth Patrick’s THE RETURNED reveals how the choices we make can affect those we love long after we’re gone.


The Returned by Seth Patrick

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The Returned(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to SOURCEBOOKS Landmark and NetGalley.)

“I want her back,” she’d told Pierre. “Can God do that?”

This story started out okay, but I have to admit that it really didn’t hold my attention well at all.

I felt quite sorry for the grieving families at the start of this book, what they had been through was awful, and the way it had changed their lives was sad. You would hope that people would stick together and support each other through difficult times, but instead it seemed that their grief had ripped them apart.

As the got a bit further into the book and suddenly these people reappeared who were thought to the dead, it was interesting to see their families reactions, and the reactions of the community – when they finally found out, which was a heck of a long way into the book!

The people whose story I appreciated the most was that of Camille and her identical twin sister Lena, whose lives had been severely affected by Camille’s death, and subsequent return. The other people in the book just didn’t really interest me though, and it was quite difficult to keep slogging my way through this book.

Another part of the book was this talk of something being wrong at the dam? I wasn’t 100% sure about the point of this, or what the heck was going on, or why we should be interested, as well as how the issues as the dam fitted in with the rest of the story.

Anyway, this book was mildly entertaining, but I just felt that it could have been done much better than it was. The pace was too slow, the whole thing felt sluggish, and there was just too much padding around the interesting bits! I wanted the story to keep moving along to keep me interested, but instead it just slowly crawled along! And as if that wasn’t bad enough, after wading through all 475 pages of this – we get a cliff-hanger ending. I mean seriously?! Are you freaking kidding me?!
6 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment