Tuesday, 30 June 2015

The Lies About Truth by Courtney C. Stevens

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
The Lies About Truth
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Sadie Kingston, is a girl living in the aftermath. A year after surviving a car accident that killed her friend Trent and left her body and face scarred, she can’t move forward. The only person who seems to understand her is Trent’s brother, Max.

As Sadie begins to fall for Max, she's unsure if she is truly healed enough to be with him — even if Max is able to look at her scars and not shy away. But when the truth about the accident and subsequent events comes to light, Sadie has to decide if she can embrace the future or if she'll always be trapped in the past.


The Lies About Truth by Courtney C. Stevens

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


The Lies About Truth(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)

“Mom said when a person dies, you don’t get over it by forgetting; you get through it by remembering.”



This was a YA contemporary story about a girl who lost her best friend and her life as she knew it in a car accident.

I felt quite sorry for Sadie in this story, but I also wanted her to move on and change. The way she was so hung up on her scars seemed a bit superficial compared to everything that she had gone through, and I wanted her to stop focusing on her scars, and start focusing on her life.

“I missed Trent like I missed the person I used to be. Makeup covered parts of the my, scars, but nothing covered up grief.”



I liked the mystery over what had happened, and who was sending Sadie the notes stolen from her sort-of diary, although I guessed pretty early on who the culprit was. There were a couple of twists in the story that I didn’t see coming though, which made up for the slow pace a little bit.

“Everyone out there knew about Trent, knew I’d gone through the window of his Yaris, knew why Gray and I broke up. They probably assumed I blamed Gina and Gray for more than cheating.”



There was some romance in this, although not a lot. I didn’t really feel anything for Max though.

“A kiss can be a kiss or it can be an event.
I have cared about Max McCall all my life.”




The ending to this was fairly happy, and tied things up pretty well, the story was just missing a special something for me though.



7 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment