Sunday, 28 June 2015

The Boy Next Door by Katie Van Ark

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Pan Macmillan, and NetGalley.
The Boy Next Door
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Maddy Spier has been in love with the boy next door forever. As his figure skating partner she spends time in his arms every day. But she’s also seen his arms around other girls—lots of other girls.

Gabe can't imagine skating with anyone but Maddy, and together they have a real chance at winning some serious gold medals. So, he’s determined to keep thinking of her like a sister. After all, he’s never had a romantic relationship that lasted for more than two weeks.

But when their coach assigns a new romantic skating program, everything changes. Will this be the big break that Maddy’s been hoping for or the big breakup that Gabe has always feared?


The Boy Next Door by Katie Van Ark

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The Boy Next Door(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Pan Macmillan, and NetGalley.)

"Romeo and Juliet." The sarcasm gone from her voice this time, Kate looks right into my eyes. "Remember how it ends."



This was a YA contemporary romance about ice skaters.

Gabe and Maddy were both serious about their ice dancing, but I found the way they fought about whether or not they should have a romantic relationship a bit annoying. It was obvious that they both liked each other, but the way Gabe pushed Maddy away for the good of their skating partnership was frustrating.

"No." I choke back my own sob. "I love you. Enough to let you be, if that's what you want."



The storyline in this was mostly about the romance, with Maddy also having some issues at home to deal with. I didn’t expect there to be sex in this book, but because of it I’d recommend that this book would be best suited to the higher end of YA. I did find the pace in this a bit slow, which did spoil the book a bit for me.

"We can't do this, do you understand? The Romeo and Juliet crap has to stay on the ice. I'm not getting involved with you."



The ending to this was pretty happy, and Gabe and Maddy seemed to have gotten what they wanted.
6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment