Monday, 29 June 2015

Supervision by Alison Stine

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins UK and NetGalley.
Supervision
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Something is wrong with Esmé.

Kicked out of school in New York, she's sent to live with her grandmother in a small Appalachian town. But something is wrong with the grandmother Ez hasn't seen for years; she leaves at midnight, carrying a big black bag. Something is wrong with her grandmother's house, a decrepit mansion full of stray cats, stairs that lead to nowhere, beds that unmake themselves. Something is wrong in the town where a kid disappears every year, where a whistle sounds at night but no train arrives.

And something is wrong with the friendly neighbor Ez's age with black curls and blue eyes: He's dead.


Supervision by Alison Stine

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Supervision(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins UK and NetGalley.)

“It’s just, we don’t know how to do this. We’ve never met anyone like you before.”
“Like what?”
“Someone who can interact with us; someone who is just like us, except, I suppose -”
“Not dead?”


free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

Well, this was a rather strange story, and I’m not even sure where to start with this review.

Esme was a bit of an enigma, we never really found out why she was doing so badly at school, or why her mother felt the need to send her to live with her grandmother, and then we got the added complication of her supposed invisibility once she actually made it to her grandmother’s house!

“I waited for the teacher to notice. I waited for her to give me a book, to ask for my name, to see me. But she never did.”



The storyline in this confused me quite a bit, and I have to say that I still have quite a few questions about exactly what the heck went on in this book. I feel like even though the story has ended, there were just a lot of things that don’t make sense.

“Tom, what are you doing?” I repeated. I reached him and tried to touch him, grabbing for the wrench, but he yanked it back.
“Stopping the train.” His hands kept moving. “Changing its path. I have to do this.”




There was some romance, but not a lot, and I’m still a little confused as to what chance this romance even stands. And yes, I know the book is over, but (highlight to view spoiler - what happens now? How can Esme and Tom have any kind of relationship when he is dead, and I don’t know what the heck she is? )

The ending to this was likewise a bit confusing, and I’m still not entirely sure (highlight to view spoiler - just what Esme is? Is she alive? Dead? A ghost? In a coma? What?!)
5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment