Thursday, 4 June 2015

Rules for Riders: Best Friends Deadly Rivals by Natalie Scott

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Natalie Scott, and Kelsey McBride.

Blurb (from Goodreads):
Rules for Riders is a fast and furious coming of age novels et in the world of equestrian riding. After a near fatal riding accident, Bebe Barkley is banned from riding and sent off to boarding school. Finn Foxley, her roommate and partner in crime, devise a plan to get themselves kicked out of school, in order to return to the world they love. Once back on the circuit, former friends become deadly rivals. Enter Bebe's handsome trainer, Billy O'Reilly, who will reinforce seven rules for riders in order for her to successfully compete. Through a series of tragic events, both girls are forced to abandon their dreams of Olympic gold. Bebe ventures down a dark road of self-destruction as she breaks every rules Billy taught her, only to be forced to relearn them in order to reclaim her life. Rules for Riders is a tale of lost dreams and the struggle to create new ones.

Rules for Riders: Best Friends Deadly Rivals by Natalie Scott

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Rules for Riders: Best Friends Deadly Rivals(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Natalie Scott, and Kelsey McBride.)


"Bebe, if I'm going to train you, there are rules for riders."



This book started out alright, although I did struggle to stay interested to be honest, but then we got some twists, that became a little silly.


The main character in this story – Bebe, seemed okay, although she did seem to make some suspect decisions at times. She did claim to like horses and competing though, even if she didn’t show it.


Billy asks if I want to go riding. I shake me head, giving him some lame excuse how it's damp and cold outside.
"Don't give me that shit," he snaps, "If you really want to compete, you have to learn to ride through the rain, the sun, and whatever else you're feeling."




The storyline in this followed Bebe as she got her first horse, King, and started learning to ride competitively. But then we got some twists thrown in, that although at first livened things up a bit, started to get a bit silly.


I’m going to skip right to the big event that happened at 67% of the way into the book. What happened was absolutely life changing for Bebe, but I couldn’t quite believe that her father had been stupid enough to orchestrate this! I mean he’s a Colonel? Surely you have to have some brains to get to that position? Maybe I’m just being harsh, but for anyone who wants to know what he did, read this spoiler - (highlight to read spoiler - He forces his 16-year-old son who is deathly afraid of horses, to get on Bebe’s massive, barely-tamed horse, who bolts and runs into a gate at speed, resulting in a broken leg for the horse, and a broken neck for Kevin. Leaving Bebe horse-less and brother-less. Absolutely gutting for the poor girl.) Anyway, Bebe was obviously upset over this, and you couldn’t really blame her over being upset.



I’m now going to skip to the next big twists that I found a little unbelievable? Just a bit silly? I don’t know what word you’d use, but they just fell short for me. It’s difficult to really explain what happened, but lets just say that Bebe somehow ended up getting mixed up with some very suspect people, and her father then did something that came across as suicidal in order to ‘rescue’ her. If you want to know exactly (Highlight to view spoiler -  Bebe somehow ended up Puerto Rico with a ‘major drug lord’, and her father decided to turn up and put a gun to his head in order to try and rescue her. Suicidal. You don’t put a gun to a drug lord’s head and expect to walk away unharmed!) So again, I found this unbelievable, and I found Bebe’s father’s actions to be short-sighted.




So, other than the silly twists, another thing I didn’t expect in this book was the sex. It wasn’t erotic or anything, but for me it seemed to come right out of the blue. There didn’t seem to be all that much romance in here, and what was in here didn’t interest me at all, but then all of a sudden she’s naked in a hotel room and losing her virginity. Where did that come from? And then by the end of the book she’s having sex with a different partner! Can’t say I was very impressed with that either.

"Then all of a sudden, things take a serious turn. Billy kisses my neck and then my lips as the candles appear to glitter through the white lace canopy."



The ending to this was a relief if anything, and although I’m pretty sure there will be more books in this series, I’m afraid it’s just really not something I would want to read.
4.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment