Friday, 5 June 2015

Made You Up by Francesca Zappia

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Made You Up
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Reality, it turns out, is often not what you perceive it to be—sometimes, there really is someone out to get you. Made You Up tells the story of Alex, a high school senior unable to tell the difference between real life and delusion. This is a compelling and provoking literary debut that will appeal to fans of Wes Anderson, Silver Linings Playbook, and Liar.

Alex fights a daily battle to figure out the difference between reality and delusion. Armed with a take-no-prisoners attitude, her camera, a Magic 8-Ball, and her only ally (her little sister), Alex wages a war against her schizophrenia, determined to stay sane long enough to get into college. She’s pretty optimistic about her chances until classes begin, and she runs into Miles. Didn't she imagine him? Before she knows it, Alex is making friends, going to parties, falling in love, and experiencing all the usual rites of passage for teenagers. But Alex is used to being crazy. She’s not prepared for normal.

Funny, provoking, and ultimately moving, this debut novel featuring the quintessential unreliable narrator will have readers turning the pages and trying to figure out what is real and what is made up.



Made You Up by Francesca Zappia

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Made You Up(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)

“My first-ever friend was a hallucination: a sparkling entry on my new resume as a crazy person.”



This was a quirky story about a girl suffering from schizophrenia, and her doubts over what was real, and what was a hallucination.

Alex was a sweet girl, and I felt quite sorry for her and what she was going through; being diagnosed with schizophrenia at such a young age, being unable to know what was really happening and what she was hallucinating, and the bullying she went through from other kids was just a lot for her to deal with. I found Miles to be a bit of an odd character, but he seemed to be good for Alex, which was important as she needed someone to support her.

“I didn’t hate them. They didn’t live in my world.
But that never stopped me from wishing I lived in theirs.”




The storyline in this was about Alex starting at a new school, meeting Miles, and getting up to some mischief, and we also got a few twists thrown in when we would discover that something was in fact a hallucination rather than really happening to poor Alex!
We did get a bit of romance, but it didn’t really appeal to me all that much.

“That is Miles Richter,” I said to Lil. “And he is not imaginary, thank you very much.”



The ending to this was pretty good, but my favourite part of the story was definitely the twists we got thrown at the end!
7 out of 10

1 comment:

  1. I have been curious about Made You Up. This sounds good. I love a twist. Thanks for your review, the first review for this book that I have read. :)

    ReplyDelete