Saturday, 13 June 2015

First, Last, and Always by Kim Lehman

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Kim Lehman, Lucky Stars Publishing, and NetGalley.
First, Last, and Always
CHARLOTTE Hubbard dreams about falling in love on a daily basis, but she’s long rejected the idea that someone would ever be interested in an overweight, unappealing girl like her; an opinion that is shared by her way more popular and attractive sister who seems to enjoy pointing out Charlotte's flaws as much as possible. 

AND . . .

Then there's MILES Fiester, who thinks that making the basketball team is as impossible as getting the girl he’s liked since grade school to notice him. He’d have more luck getting his deadbeat dad to visit him for a day. But, in the first few weeks of high school, Charlotte and Miles come to discover that life is unpredictable, love happens when you least expect it, and there’s always a first for everything.


First, Last, and Always by Kim Lehman

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


First, Last, and Always(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Kim Lehman, Lucky Stars Publishing, and NetGalley.)

“I, Miles Fiester, am in love with Charlotte Hubbard.”



This was quite a young YA contemporary romance, about best friends who fall in love (eventually).

I felt quite sorry for Charlotte, it’s awful to be bullied, especially because you are fat, and when even your own mother isn’t happy about your size it’s not much fun!

“These are my present realities:
I am big.
I am boring.
I am boyfriendless.”




Miles was an okay character, although he really did act like a bit of a doormat at times. It can’t be easy when you’re in love with your best friend and she is oblivious though.

“I’ve been totally crazy about her since third grade,”



The storyline in this was about Charlotte and the boy at school that she fancied – Grayson. There were some ups and downs because Miles like Charlotte, and Charlotte’s friend Vanessa liked Grayson, but I found the pace in this pretty slow, and it just didn’t hold my attention very well at all.

“You want me to find out for you if he has a girlfriend?”



The storyline in this was pretty much all about the romance, but I just didn’t have any strong feelings about any of the possible relationships in this book which was disappointing.

“Actually, I don’t really care if he has a girlfriend. Just tell him I want to go out with him.”



The ending to this was a ‘Happily Ever After’, but it just didn’t feel realistic to me. (highlight to view spoiler - How did Charlotte go from laughing at the idea of Miles being her boyfriend, to confessing her undying love? It wasn’t very believable.)
6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment