Thursday, 11 June 2015

Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Penguin Random House UK Children’s and NetGalley.
Finding Audrey
Blurb (from Goodreads):
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Shopaholic series comes a terrific blend of comedy, romance, and psychological recovery in a contemporary YA novel sure to inspire and entertain.

An anxiety disorder disrupts fourteen-year-old Audrey’s daily life. She has been making slow but steady progress with Dr. Sarah, but when Audrey meets Linus, her brother’s gaming teammate, she is energized. She connects with him. Audrey can talk through her fears with Linus in a way she’s never been able to do with anyone before. As their friendship deepens and her recovery gains momentum, a sweet romantic connection develops, one that helps not just Audrey but also her entire family.



Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Finding Audrey(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Penguin Random House UK Children’s and NetGalley.)

“To put you out of your misery, here’s the full diagnosis. Social Anxiety Disorder, General Anxiety Disorder and Depressive Episodes. Episodes. Like depression is a sitcom with a fun punchline.”



This was a cute story a girl suffering from an anxiety disorder, and her crazy mother!

I liked Audrey in this story and I felt really sorry for her. What she had been through had obviously been traumatic, and being unable to even look at people without panicking was really limiting for her.

“But I think it’s time, Audrey. I think you can do it. Call it project Starbucks.”
Starbucks? Is she kidding?
Tears have started to my eyes. My blood is pulsing in panic. I can’t go to Starbucks. I can’t.




The storyline in this was really funny! Audrey’s mother was quite crazy about the possibility of Audrey’s brother Frank being addicted to video games, and went to ridiculous lengths to try and stop him from playing. I loved Audrey’s take on her mother’s addiction to The Daily Mail, and the way this book made me laugh!

“I’ll do anything. I’ll stack the dishwasher. I’ll phone Grandma every night. I’ll…” He casts about wildly. “I’ll read to deaf people.”



There was a little bit of romance in this, and it was quite sweet! I really liked Linus, and he really helped Audrey to overcome her anxiety.

“Had to give you this before I go.”
For a few moments I don’t dare read it. But at last I open it up and stare at the words inside. My head is prickling all over with disbelief. My breath is jumpy as it read it. He wrote that. He wrote that. To me.
“It’s a kiss.”




The ending to this was pretty good, and I liked that we got a happy ending.
7 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment