Friday, 26 June 2015

Emmy & Oliver by Robin Benway

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Emmy & Oliver
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Emmy’s best friend, Oliver, reappears after being kidnapped by his father ten years ago. Emmy hopes to pick up their relationship right where it left off. Are they destined to be together? Or has fate irreparably driven them apart?

Emmy just wants to be in charge of her own life.

She wants to stay out late, surf her favorite beach—go anywhere without her parents’ relentless worrying. But Emmy’s parents can’t seem to let her grow up—not since the day Oliver disappeared.

Oliver needs a moment to figure out his heart.

He’d thought, all these years, that his dad was the good guy. He never knew that it was his father who kidnapped him and kept him on the run. Discovering it, and finding himself returned to his old hometown, all at once, has his heart racing and his thoughts swirling.

Emmy and Oliver were going to be best friends forever, or maybe even more, before their futures were ripped apart. In Emmy’s soul, despite the space and time between them, their connection has never been severed. But is their story still written in the stars? Or are their hearts like the pieces of two different puzzles—impossible to fit together?

Readers who love Sarah Dessen will tear through these pages with hearts in throats as Emmy and Oliver struggle to face the messy, confusing consequences of Oliver’s father’s crime. Full of romance, coming-of-age emotion, and heartache, these two equally compelling characters create an unforgettable story.


Emmy & Oliver by Robin Benway

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Emmy & Oliver(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)

“Coming home is like being kidnapped all over again,”



This was a YA contemporary romance, featuring a boy who came back after being kidnapped 10 years earlier.

Emmy was a cute character, and she really went out of her way to be nice to Oliver, and to make him feel welcome when other people at their school treated him like an outcast.

“He’s sitting by himself!” I hissed. “Look at him, it’s sad. And, like, we grew up together and now he’s back and he lives next door to me. I can’t just ignore him.”



I liked Oliver too, and I felt really sorry for him. He had suffered so much heartache in his life that it hardly seemed to fair. To have to spend ten years missing his mother, followed by years missing his father.

“The problem is that now I miss my dad just like I used to miss my mom.”



The storyline in this was about Oliver finally coming home, and the reactions of his family and friends. I liked how Emmy and Oliver got to know each other again, and I liked how they made such a sweet couple. I did find the pacing in this a little slow though, which was a bit frustrating, but I do like books with a faster pace, so this might not bother some people.

“The stars tilted, the moon spun, and then my mouth was on his and we were kissing.”



The ending to this was quite bitter sweet really, but I’m glad that things worked out for most of the people involved.




6.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment