Monday, 15 June 2015

Alive by Chandler Baker

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Disney Book Group and NetGalley.
Alive
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Stella Cross's heart is poisoned.

After years on the transplant waiting list, she's running out of hope that she'll ever see her eighteenth birthday. Then, miraculously, Stella receives the transplant she needs to survive.

Determined to embrace everything she came so close to losing, Stella throws herself into her new life. But her recovery is marred by strange side effects: Nightmares. Hallucinations. A recurring pain that flares every day at the exact same moment. Then Stella meets Levi Zin, the new boy on everyone's radar at her Seattle prep school. Stella has never felt more drawn to anyone in her life, and soon she and Levi are inseparable.

Stella is convinced that Levi is her soul mate. Why else would she literally ache for him when they are apart?

After all, the heart never lies...does it?


Alive by Chandler Baker

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Alive(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Disney Book Group and NetGalley.)

“Blood sprays up at my face. Several droplets dangle in my line of vision. They cling to my hair. Gagging, I cover my mouth.
Only, my wet fingers slip across my skin, leaving warm patches of blood on my face. Blood that pours out onto the table.”




This was a slightly strange story about a girl haunted by the previous owner of her transplanted heart.

I felt quite sorry for Stella, she’d obviously been through a lot, been held by her heart, and even felt like she’d been replaced when her parents had chosen to have another baby. To then feel like she was going crazy because of her transplanted heart all seemed like a bit too much.

“My chest convulses, and I lurch off the bed, then slam back down on the ground. It convulses again and my body is tossed as if I’m possessed by demons.”



The storyline in this was about Stella feeling pain and hallucinating every day at 5:08, and not knowing why. I thought that the pacing in this was quite slow though, and the book seemed to drag a bit.

“It’s… terrifying. Like time is working against you. Like there’s a literal hourglass that contains the minutes of your life.”



We also had a bit of a love triangle happening Stella, a new boy called Levi, and Stella’s friend Henry.

“We’re two magnets. I feel the instant pull at that moment we decide we’re going to kiss.”



The ending to this was okay, and I thought the author did a good job of ending this happily.



6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment