Thursday, 18 June 2015

'89 Walls by Katie Pierson

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Katie Pierson, Wise Ink, and NetGalley.
'89 Walls
Blurb (from Goodreads):
College is not in the cards for Seth. He spends his minimum wage on groceries and fakes happiness to distract his mom from the MS they both know will kill her. It’s agony to carry around a frayed love note for a girl who’s both out of his league and beneath his dignity.

Quinn’s finishing high school on top. But that cynical, liberal guy in her social studies class makes her doubt her old assumptions. Challenging the rules now, though, would a) squander her last summer at home, b) antagonize her conservative dad, and c) make her a hypocrite.

Seth and Quinn’s passionate new romance takes them both by surprise. They keep it a secret: it’s too early to make plans and too late not to care. But it’s 1989. As politics suddenly get personal, they find themselves fighting bare-fisted for their beliefs—and each other—in the clear light of day.


'89 Walls by Katie Pierson

My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars


'89 Walls(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Katie Pierson, Wise Ink, and NetGalley.)

"The actual sex part - once the novelty factor wore off - seemed like more trouble and mess than it was worth."

(That does not sound like good sex!)


This was a romance story set in 1989, which read as a Young Adult novel, until people’s clothes started coming off.

The characters in this book seemed to make very rushed decisions. One minute Quinn was turning Seth down because she had a boyfriend, and the next minute she was kissing him!

The storyline in this was part romance, and part politics, and I quite honestly did not give a toss about the politics part of the story. I found the non-romance storylines to be pretty darn boring really.
The romance in this went from 0 to 60 in a matter of seconds, and it all just seemed to come totally out of the blue! I also wasn’t expecting the sex! This read as a YA story until people started masturbating and having sex. So not impressed by that.

There was also a storyline concerning Quinn and an (highlight to view spoiler - unplanned pregnancy. But that was also sorted out pretty quickly. I have to say that Quinn was pretty brave though. I couldn’t tell my mother now that I was pregnant, although maybe my mum is just a lot scarier than Quinn’s mom!  )

The ending to this was okay, but I didn’t really understand where this relationship was by the end of the book (highlight to view spoiler - I think they were doing a long-distance thing? I’m not really sure though.)
5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment