Wednesday, 20 May 2015

The Cost of All Things by Maggie Lehrman

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.

Blurb (from Goodreads):
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind meets We Were Liars in this thought-provoking and brilliantly written debut that is part love story, part mystery, part high-stakes drama. What would you pay to cure your heartbreak? Banish your sadness? Transform your looks? The right spell can fix anything…. When Ari's boyfriend Win dies, she gets a spell to erase all memory of him. But spells come at a cost, and this one sets off a chain of events that reveal the hidden—and sometimes dangerous—connections between Ari, her friends, and the boyfriend she can no longer remember. Told from four different points of view, this original and affecting novel weaves past and present in a suspenseful narrative that unveils the truth behind a terrible tragedy.

The Cost of All Things by Maggie Lehrman

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The Cost of All Things(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)

“You’d be as graceful as a gazelle. But then that spell comes with its own set of side effects, and then you’re up to three permanent spells – very bad. Very risky. Side effects cascading.”



This was a story about grief and magic, but I lost interest a bit towards the end.

There were 5 main characters in this book. Ari was so desperate to forget her boyfriend that she was willing to take a spell to forget him! I’m not sure this was really the best idea to be honest, and paying for it with money that didn’t belong to her seemed like a bad idea as well.

“I want to cry, but if I start, I’m afraid of what will happen. I’m afraid of what I’ll become.”



I felt quite sorry for Kay, that she was insecure enough to think that she needed magic to keep her friends close to her, and Markos seemed a bit messed up with grief.

“They would be loyal. They would be constant. They wouldn’t leave me to go travelling the world. They couldn’t leave me – the spell kept them near.”



I didn’t really get much from Diana, she was a bit of a nothingness character, and Win was the dead guy, so his chapters were from the past, before he died.

“Win was dead. See, I could say it right out loud. Dead. I no longer had a best friend and never would again.”



The storyline in this followed the 4 teens after the death of Win, and their interactions with the Hekamists – and the spells each of them was under! I thought that the world-building with regards to the magic in this story was done well, and it was interesting the way that there was no way to end a spell once cast! It was also a pretty interesting mystery as to what had happened to Win, not to mention the blackmail going on, and the really unethical spells going round too!

“Don’t even try to play that game because you’ll lose. Pay me my money or everyone finds out.”



There was a little bit of romance in this, but not a lot, and it was more about the interactions with regards to the relationships, rather than an actual romance storyline.

“And if you’re looking to reverse the spell itself, not the side effect, you’re mostly out of luck.”



The ending to this was interesting as so many spells came to light, and we also got another unexpected death, I have to admit to having lost interest a bit by the end though, even with the revelations, and I struggled to finish this really.
6 out of 10


1 comment:

  1. Hmm sad that this wasn’t great at the end, but I’ll have to see for myself–this one’s waiting for me on my kindle. Sounds interesting though as the concept is pretty unique. Great review!

    ReplyDelete