Friday, 1 May 2015

Mary Hades (Mary Hades #1) by Sarah Dalton

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Sarah Dalton and NetGalley.

Blurb (from Goodreads):
Not many seventeen year old girls have a best friend who’s a ghost, but then Mary Hades isn’t your average teenager. Scarred physically and mentally from a fire, her parents decide a holiday to an idyllic village in North Yorkshire will help her recover. Nestled in the middle of five moors, Mary expects to have a boring week stuck in a caravan with her parents. Little does she know, evil lurks in the campsite… Seth Lockwood—a local fairground worker with a dark secret—might be the key to uncovering the murky history that has blighted Nettleby. But Mary is drawn to him in a way that has her questioning her judgement. Helped by her dead best friend and a quirky gay Goth couple, Mary must stop the unusual deaths occurring in Nettleby. But can she prevent her heart from being broken? The first in a series of dark YA novels, Mary Hades follows on from the bestselling Kindle Single 'My Daylight Monsters'. A spine-tingling tale with romance, readers will be shocked and entertained in equal measure.

Mary Hades by Sarah Dalton

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Mary Hades (Mary Hades #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Sarah Dalton and NetGalley.)

“Standing like a scarecrow in the middle of a crop field, is one of them. Its skull shines through its face, and haunting sunken eyes stare at me, dark as night. A chill passes over my body.
This is a warning.”




This was a really good ghost story, and I really enjoyed it.

I liked Mary in this story, I felt sorry for her with what she had gone through at the mental health care facility, but it was nice that she now had Lacey as a friend, even if she was dead.

“Well, that was marginally better than our last hospital stay,” Lacey says. “Mainly because last time, I died.”



The storyline in this was pretty good, and I liked the mystery element. I didn’t think this book was all that scary again, but I did prefer it to ‘My Daylight Monsters’. I will say though that I absolutely hate Ferris Wheels, and if I had to jump off of one of them because a ghost was trying to kill me, I would not be happy.

“We have to jump,” I shout.
“What?” Seth replies.
“Jump! Now!”




There was some romance and it was kind-of sweet. Mary’s mother was an absolute nutcase though, and seemed to think that finding a boyfriend was just what Mary needed, to the point where she encouraged her to go out with anyone!

“Oh, I can tell just from looking at your face. He’s downright gorgeous, isn’t he? Please tell me you used protection.”



The ending to this was pretty good, and I liked the action. I wasn’t 100% convinced by the way the romance ended though.
7.5 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment