Wednesday, 27 May 2015

Kissing in America by Margo Rabb

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.

Blurb (from Goodreads):
I loved romances because when you opened the first page, you knew the story would end well. Your heart wouldn't be broken. I loved that security, that guaranteed love. In real life, you never knew the ending. I hated that. Sixteen-year-old Eva has never been in love. But when she meets Will, everything changes. With him, her grief over her father's death fades, and she can escape from her difficult relationship with her mother. Then, without any warning, Will picks up and moves to California. So Eva—with the help of her best friend, Annie—concocts a plan to travel across the country to see him again. As they leave New York City for the first time and road-trip across America, they encounter cowboys, kudzu, and tiny towns without stoplights. Along the way, Eva and Annie learn the truth about love and all its complexities.

Kissing in America by Margo Rabb

My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars



Kissing in America(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)

“I loved romances because when you opened the first page, you knew the story would end well. Your heart wouldn’t be broken.”

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

This started out okay, but then it just got silly.

The main character in this was, I’m sorry, but she was a bit of an idiot. I understood that she liked this boy, but who finds a way to travel from New York to L.A. just because a boy they kissed once is working there over the summer? When you don’t exactly have a relationship, and have to talk your best friend into a random contest to try and get there? Oh yes, meet Eva.

“I had to find a way to get there. I kept thinking that if I could find a last-minute internship out there, or some reason that my mom would approve of, then I wouldn’t even have to mention Will to her.”



The storyline in this was a little bit of romance at the beginning, which was then followed by this crazy girl trying to find a way to go across the country after this random boy that she liked. This involved roping her friend into a ‘smartest girl in America’ contest as a way to get free travel, when basically all she was doing was following after this boy!

“I had no idea how I was going to get to California.”



The only other real storyline was that Eva’s dad had died in a plane crash, and I did feel a bit sorry for her because of it, but chasing this boy across the country was not going to fix that. If anything she needed to reconnect with her mother instead of taking it out on her.

“When people ask how my dad died, I lie. I say he died of a heart attack, in his sleep.”



The romance just irritated me, because while I got that Eva liked Will at the start, I just got the feeling that this relationship was going nowhere, and the way Will kept leading her on was just annoying!

“Actually, I’m not sure if I’d use the word “together.” We kissed on a street corner and made out in a roof garden and now we write letters.



The ending to this was just what I expected basically, which as I’m sure you can guess wasn’t exactly a happy ending for Eva, and the way she treated her best friend wasn’t nice either.

“I know you didn’t do it on purpose. I just -” She sighed. “I thought you’d be there for me, you know?”



Overall, I think that people who like road-trip stories might like this, but for me, I just wanted this girl to come to her senses and stop acting like a 12-year-old with a crush.
5 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment