Tuesday, 12 May 2015

Heat of the Moment (Moment of Truth #1) by Lauren Barnholdt

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Before graduation, I promise to...learn to trust. In the first book in the Moment of Truth series, Lyla discovers that trusting her head might be easy but trusting her heart is a whole other matter. Each book in this paperback original series is told from the perspective of a different girl—Lyla, Aven, and Quinn—former best friends who wrote emails to their future selves back in freshman year about one thing they hope to accomplish before they graduate. When the emails get delivered on the first morning of their senior trip all three girls will spend the next three days trying to keep the promises they made to themselves four years ago. While each book follow’s one girl’s life-changing adventure, you have to read them all to get the whole story, including why they’re no longer friends and whether they can get their friendship back on track. Lyla McAfee had all but forgotten the email that she wrote to herself freshman year and scheduled to be delivered right before graduation—the one promising that she’d learn to trust by the end of senior year. But when she receives it the first morning of her senior trip to Florida her life is sent into a tailspin. Soon she’s questioning her seemingly perfect relationship with her boyfriend, Derrick; her attraction to the school player, Beckett; and whether ending her friendship with Aven and Quinn, her former BFFs, was one of the biggest mistakes of her life. The first book in a captivating summer trilogy, Heat of the Moment flawlessly balances romance and humor as Lyla embarks on her totally reluctant but completely irresistible journey of self-discovery. And readers will have a chance to discover whole truth about the fight that ended Lyla, Quinn, and Aven’s friendship in the next two installments of the series, coming out later the same summer!

Heat of the Moment by Lauren Barnholdt

My rating: 3.12 of 5 stars


Heat of the Moment (Moment of Truth, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)

“Before graduation, I will… learn to trust.”



This was a light and easy summer read, but the main character just told so many lies!



I didn’t dislike Lyla in this book, but I did get a little annoyed at the number of lies she told. It got to the point where everything out of her mouth seemed to be a lie, and if I had been her friend, I think I’d have gotten pretty sick of it.

“The problem with lies is that they can end up making something totally innocent seem like more than it is.”



I did feel sorry for Lyla at points, but she didn’t make things any easier by lying to herself. It’s one thing to lie to a friend or a boyfriend because you don’t want to hurt them, but when you start lying to yourself about who it is you’re really in love with, then you’re not saving anyone hurt.

“Was your mom p*ssed?”
“P*ssed?”
“Yeah, that she had to drive you to the airport?”
“Oh. Um, no.”

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

“Well I don’t even know Beckett,” I say wildly. “I mean, of course I know him. He’s in some of my AP classes. But I don’t, like, know him.”

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

“Yeah, well, did you know that the oldest railroad is in Pennsylvania? And that the first twenty-four-hour diner was in Minnesota?” I shoot back.
“Really?”
“No,” I admit. “I just made all that up.”


(Well at least she admitted to it on that occasion!)

The storyline in this book basically revolved around Lyla and her love life; dating Derrick, whilst hanging out with Beckett. It seemed really quite obvious that Beckett was flirting with her, and that she liked him back, and that her relationship with Derrick was kind-of lacking, but Lyla obviously wouldn’t even admit that even to herself!

“Do you like Beckett?”
“No.”


free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

There was also a bit of a storyline about why Lyla and her friends weren’t talking, and also about Lyla’s parent’s getting a divorce. Other than Lyla’s lying, this was a nice easy read though, and I read it in just two sittings.



The ending to this was okay, and I was glad the way things worked out! I really just wish Lyla hadn’t lied so much though! I am looking forward to the other stories in this series though, because I really want to know what was going on with Quinn and Aven!



6.25 out of 10


1 comment:

  1. Wow I didn't realize that this character would be such a liar!! I don't know if I could like that or not... seems like something that would get old after a while. But I love the idea of the 3 former best friends and the emails. It's a cool premise.

    ReplyDelete