Friday, 8 May 2015

Flesh and Blood (Red Eye) by Simon Cheshire

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Little Tiger Group and NetGalley.

Blurb (from Goodreads):
I must record the facts that have led me to where I am now. So that, when someone reads this, they understand. Sam Hunter's neighbours are pillars of the community, the most influential people in town. But they're liars too. The Greenhills are hiding something and Sam's determined to find out what it is. As his investigation unfolds, he realizes the lies reach further than he ever imagined - is there anyone he can trust? Uncovering the horror is one thing ...escaping is another. A chilling new story in the Red Eye series.

Flesh and Blood by Simon Cheshire

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Flesh and Blood (Red Eye)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Little Tiger Group and NetGalley.)

“I crouched down to see into the jars.
There were eight or nine of them, all filled with a thin yellowy liquid. Floating inside the first was a human hand, with pale empty blood vessels protruding from its stump.”




Out of the three ‘red eye’ books that I’ve read, this one was my least favourite.

Sam was an alright character, but he did come across as a little immature, and like main characters in so many horror stories, he made dumb decisions like going out in the middle of the night because he heard a scream and saw a menacing shadow. How dumb are you?

“I thought, at first, that I’d dreamed the bloodchilling scream that came from outside.”



The storyline in this wasn’t bad, but I didn’t feel really gripped by the story either. I got a bit annoyed by the way Sam turned into a stalker, and I just didn’t enjoy the story that much. The romance was also a totally non-starter.

“Her blood-red lips parted slowly. I felt an unbidden urge to kiss her. Even then, when I already had suspicions, her pull was almost irresistible.”



The ending to this wasn’t all that great either. In fact it was a pretty poor ending in my opinion.
6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment