Thursday, 7 May 2015

Bomb by Sarah Mussi

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Hachette Children's Books and NetGalley.

Blurb (from Goodreads):
When Genesis goes on an internet date she is only anxious that this latest guy won't be 'The One'. She's not at all worried about meeting a dodgy bloke or getting in too deep. And when her date appears she texts her best mate, Jackson, to let him know that she thinks this time, he just might be 'The One'. And he texts her back with a huge: I LIKE. It's the one all right. But not in the way she expects. For when Genesis wakes up the next day, she can't remember a thing. She can't remember where she is, or how she got there. And she can hardly move because she is strapped into some kind of body armour ... and then a voice sounds in her head: 'Get on to the 37 going north. You are strapped to a vest made entirely of explosives. At the push of one button I can detonate you right where you stand.' To her horror, Genesis has become an agent of mass destruction. The countdown to detonation begins now...

Bomb by Sarah Mussi

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Bomb(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Hachette Children's Books and NetGalley.)

“Life is a string: you just don’t know how long it is.”



This was a story about a girl strapped to a bomb, with an untraditional ending.

I felt quite sorry for Genesis, waking up strapped to a bomb and having no idea where you are, must have been incredibly scary, and she was brave to do what she did to try and save herself, and save the people the bomb was intended for. I also really liked Holly, so what happened to her was unfortunate.

“I’m wearing Holly’s rainbow scarf. She’s wearing my hair clip.
We’re dressed the same.”




The storyline in this revolved around Genesis and the bomb, and when she was told to get on a bus I couldn’t help but think of the movie Speed. I did find this book quite slow in places though, and I had to keep switching between this and something else to try and stay motivated to read this.
One strange thing about this book was the strange sayings though, such as;

“Life is an Egg: hard on the outside, soft in the middle. Once broken, forever beyond repair.”



There was a little bit of romance, but not a lot. I think more romance would have only made the situation more awful really.

“Just live, Gen,” says Dave. “Promise me.”



The ending to this was quite bold and untraditional, although the story did seem to just stop. I think we would really have benefitted from an epilogue here, so that we know that what we think happened really did happen.
6 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment