Saturday, 9 May 2015

A Heart for Copper by Sharon Lynn Fisher

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to SilkWords, and NetGalley.
A Heart for Copper
Blurb (from Goodreads):
An automaton created by an inventor's son, Copper has finally been given a heart by her young master. Her choice of whether to keep the key or give it to him will determine what happens next in this "pick your path" steampunk fairy tale.

Will she join his family in their English country manor, where she'll be forced to consider the question of whether she's really human? Or will she search out the quirky alchemist responsible for giving her life? Will her master hold onto her heart, or will she be tempted by the charms of an automaton man?


A Heart for Copper by Sharon Lynn Fisher

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


A Heart for Copper(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to SilkWords, and NetGalley.)

“I spend many lonely hours in my master’s workshop, when he is away at school or in the city with his family. In those hours I feel empty and soulless, and I have often prayed that when he loses interest in me – which he inevitably shall – he will also unmake me, rather than leave me collecting dust in my chair.”



This was a short story about an automaton given a clockwork heart, and this book again had a ‘choose-your-own-adventure’ sort of twist to it.

I felt really sorry for Copper in this book, she came across as really human, even though she was an automaton. The choices and decisions she had to make were tough on her, and she showed that she had real feelings and emotions, no matter what she was made of.

“At moments like this I almost imagined that the whole in my chest had been filled. I could feel an ache there – an ache that should have not been.”



The book had a ‘choose-your-own-adventure’ theme, where there were choices to be made and depending on the choice you were directed to a different chapter of the book. This worked well as we were able to see how such choices affected Copper’s life, and left her in very different places.

I read this through a few times to find all the different endings, but I have to say that I actually liked all of them, which was quite a surprise! I did have a favourite though, and it did have a bit of a ‘happily ever after’ in there.
8 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment