Thursday, 2 April 2015

True Calling (True Calling #1) by Siobhan Davis

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Siobhan Davis.

Blurb (from Goodreads):
Planet Novo, nestled in space twelve hundred miles above the surface of the Earth, is the new home of 17-year-old Cadet Ariana Skyee. Confused by the government-sanctioned memory erase and distressed at her impending forced marriage and motherhood, Ariana's plans for the future are thrown into complete disarray. As the traumatic events within her family life enfold, Ariana becomes increasingly alarmed at the authorities' apparent preoccupation with her and feels progressively more isolated and alone. Her growing feelings for fellow Cadet Cal Remus intensify as the recently announced e-pageant, 'The Calling', gets underway. Struggling to comprehend the continuous, inexplicable dreams of the mysterious Zane, discovering the past helps shape her future, with devastating personal consequences.

True Calling by Siobhan Davis

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


True Calling(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Siobhan Davis.)

“We could run away,” I propose whimsically.
“Run to where?” He arches an eyebrow and his look suggests I’ve just joined the crazy gang.
“Find a way of getting back to Earth.” The wistful look is back on my face.
“If I thought there was a way of making that happen, then I would’ve been out of here a long time ago.”




This was an okay story, but it wasn’t really what I was expecting.

I didn’t really love any of the characters in this book. I understood where Ariana was coming from on the whole arranged-marriage subject, but at times I thought she was a bit immature, and I was surprised at her actions at times. Cal was pretty immature as well, and at times acted like a 2-year-old.

“It’ll be much easier to communicate silently now that we’re in closer proximity.”
“Gggrreat,” Cal says.
“Is he always like this?” Zane asks, staring directly into my eyes.




The storyline in this wasn’t what I was expecting at all. I usually love sci-fi stories, but the fact that this story was set on another planet wasn’t really covered all that much. It seemed like 95% of the story was about Ariana being forced into an arranged marriage, and her falling in love with Cal. Then there was lots of angst over whether they would be allowed to be together or not, and I just wanted something else to take centre stage for a while.

“When he announces that suitors who are active participants in ‘The Calling’ cannot engage in any form of intimate romantic activity, I know that this punishment has been inflicted on everyone because of Cal and me.”



I think the problem I had with the romance was that I didn’t particularly like Ariana and Cal, and because I didn’t really like them, I didn’t really care about their relationship. The one person I did feel sorry for was Zane, as he seemed to get the worst deal out of all of this.

“It’s okay, Ari, I can wait until you’re ready to love me again.”



The ending was a cliff-hanger, but while I might give the second book in the series a chance, I will definitely need a break before reading it.
6 out of 10


1 comment:

  1. This one is totally new to me and It looks good. I love finding new books from blogs. :)

    Great Review!

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete