Thursday, 30 April 2015

Trouble from the Start by Rachel Hawthorne

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.

Blurb (From Goodreads):
One of two companion novels from beach-read favorite Rachel Hawthorne, this cute, romantic paperback original is about a good girl who falls for a bad guy. Avery knows better than to fall for Fletcher, the local bad boy who can’t seem to outrun his reputation. Fletcher knows he shouldn’t bother with college-bound, daughter-of-a-cop Avery. But when their paths cross, neither can deny the spark. Are they willing to go against everything and let their hearts lead the way? Or are they just flirting with disaster? Trouble from the Start releases simultaneously with companion novel The Boyfriend Project. These heartwarming paperback originals are the perfect summer reads, great for fans of Jennifer Echols, Lauren Barnholdt, and Susane Colasanti.

Trouble from the Start by Rachel Hawthorne

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Trouble from the Start(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)

“I don’t want a boyfriend. I want the right boyfriend.”



This was a YA contemporary romance story, about a good girl, and a bad boy.

Avery was very studious, and liked to do the right thing. She worked hard, and even helped other people, but hadn’t had much time for partying or a boyfriend, and although that wasn’t going to change overnight, she wanted to at least get a chance at being in love before she went to college.

“I’d spent way too much time studying and not enough partying, I didn’t know any of these people well enough that they were going to include me in their little circles.”



Fletcher had had big problems at home with his dad, and I felt quite sorry for him with all the abuse he’d had to put up with. It did seem like some of his badness was probably down to this really, and he seemed to be a really nice person under his bad exterior.

“At least cars can’t express their disappointment in you.”



The storyline in this did seem a bit predictable with the whole ‘good girl falls in love with bad boy’ thing going on, and the way that Feltcher ended up living above Avery’s parent’s garage reminded me a bit of The Summer I Found You by Jolene Perry. I did find some of this pair’s decision making skills a bit suspect at times though; who gets on the back of a motorcycle for this first time when they are totally drunk? And who thinks it’s a good idea to put a drunk girl on the back of their motorcycle?

“So… are you a novice at riding a motorcycle?”
I considered lying, but I was past the point of thinking anything I did was going to impress him. Not that I wanted to. “It’ll be my first time.”
His grin grew wider. “I like taking girls on their first ride.”




There was romance between the couple, with a nice scene where they get caught on Kiss-Cam at a Ball game.

“His hand snaked around the back of my neck and he planted a kiss on me that I thought might melt the camera lens.”



The ending to this was okay, and I was glad that things worked out for this pair.
6 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment